TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mostly going for a 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, etc) opinion here - the 94 LX overheated today. I let it cool down, added coolant, and got it the 30 miles home with no problem after that. The gauge never showed it past the R and ran fine.

Sticky t-stat maybe? That's kind of the direction I'm leaning since the gauge hasn't been reading lately. It sits over on the cold side just about all the time, but will occasionally move over to somewhere around NORM and bounce back over to cold and stay there.

Also, is there a way to test the fan to make sure it works? Other things to try or consider?

Thanks
-Melon

FYI - the car is a 4.6L DOHC and is OBD-I, not OBD-II like 94 SOHC V8's.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Mostly going for a 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, etc) opinion here - the 94 LX overheated today. I let it cool down, added coolant, and got it the 30 miles home with no problem after that. The gauge never showed it past the R and ran fine.

Sticky t-stat maybe? That's kind of the direction I'm leaning since the gauge hasn't been reading lately. It sits over on the cold side just about all the time, but will occasionally move over to somewhere around NORM and bounce back over to cold and stay there.

Also, is there a way to test the fan to make sure it works? Other things to try or consider?

Thanks
-Melon

To test the fan just unplug the ECT sensor. Computer should kick the fan on. If your A/C is functioning the fan should come on low speed as soon as the compressor kicks in. How clean is your coolant. If it's kinda cruddy the thermostat could be your problem.

Brad

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
And it could just be the gauge. I went through this just this summer. My gauge was reading really hot but when I shut it off to inspect it, the engine didn't seem no hotter than usual. No water boiling or anything like that.

I hooked up an auto meter gauge and has been good ever since.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Thanks
-Melon

why did you add coolant? was it low? are you loosing coolant?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
So your overheating while moving or at a stop? If it's while moving I'd change the tstat make sure to bleed it and fill it properly dohc's must be bled properly to avoid air pockets which can lead to serious problems.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And it could just be the gauge. I went through this just this summer. My gauge was reading really hot but when I shut it off to inspect it, the engine didn't seem no hotter than usual. No water boiling or anything like that.

I hooked up an auto meter gauge and has been good ever since.
Pretty sure it wasn't just the gauge. All the coolant that was on the ground tells me it wasn't just the gauge :)

why did you add coolant? was it low? are you loosing coolant?
When I overheated, it was boiling out the overflow.

So your overheating while moving or at a stop? If it's while moving I'd change the tstat make sure to bleed it and fill it properly dohc's must be bled properly to avoid air pockets which can lead to serious problems.
I was moving. I didn't smell coolant until I was a half block from the parking lot or see the steam until I got into the lot.

What's the process on installing a t-stat for a DOHC. I'd like to have the car back on the road :)

Thanks
-Melon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts