TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 4.6L Cougar

First off I have replaced the upper hose, thermostat (3 times), resevoir cap (it was leaky), and the water pump (old one looked great.

The car will heat up go past the middle temperature mark. If I rev it will go down sometimes. It will then spew coolant from the cap and cool way down and not heat back up from there. The upper hose is hot before the over heating, which should mean the water is flowing through the thermostat. The only thing left to do I think is try it without the thermostat or take out the radiator to check and/or replace. It is dead of winter here so it will be a few months before I try anything further.

To complicate it, sometimes it just won't heat up at all. The one thing is the CCRM for the radiator fan and A/C is broke so the radiator fan is always on. Not sure how that could afftect it though. I do have the replacement, but can't find where to replace it even with a diagram.

Any ideas?

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
The CCRM is located on the core support its hidden by the air cleaner box. Its a quick replacement.

But if the car is blowing coolant out of the coolant box maybe you have the thermostat in backwards??

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
thermostat in backwards. That is one thing i dont understand how someone could do that :crazy: Guess some folks know nothing about the working of things

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Air in the system , turn your heater to high and wait for the fan to kick on .
let cool down and open reservoir cap to release air and repeat till you get little air .

Remember water will be hot so a towel would be useful to keep to hot air and water from burning you .

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
You need to get the fan in proper working order, it very likely that is the cause, even if you think it is always on.

I had a bad pressure cap, and about 1/3 of my radiator was filled with what dexcool mixed with conventional coolant and water does, an oatmeal like substance.

But I really only had issues once it hit around 110 degrees outside, I couldn't change my driving habits enough to keep her cool. I used a non contact thermometer and found the bottom 1/3 of the radiator was 60 degrees cooler than the top.

If you follow the service cd way of filling it, then you shouldn't get air pockets. If you take off the water outlet and thermostat, fill it there, take off the rear heater hose on the passenger side of the intake, and fill until you get coolant there, then button it up, maybe need to add a pint after that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the troubleshooting involved me unplugging the fan to rule that out.

I just filled up the radiator again via the upper hose. The thermostat is positioned correctly. Now it won't heat up past the second marker (20%?) without me pushing the gas. Revving it to about 2500 - 3000 lets me get to 33% max. Let go it cools down. It is 50 degrees outside. I know when this was running fine, it was always on 50% no matter what.

I don't have the airbox in the way, I have an aluminum intake and cone. Yet I still can't find where the CCRM is! Can you take a picture. I'll go check on the supprt again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing for a while, even after putting a new intake on (old one was cracked) rad, hoses, water pump, thermostat, fan, and 2 new fill caps. The problem? One of the threads on the reservoir itself was a little bad. I swapped the reservoir for the one in my parts car and it's not had a problem since.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which problem? I *think* I am past the spilling and now not heating up enough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You need to stop that fan from running all the time as it is probably cooling the coolant more than it should be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts