TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this 89 SC 5 speed a few days ago (private sale), and on the way home, I noticed the the temp guage was rising and not going down at all. On this 25 mile hike home , on the highway, the temp slowly pegged the factory temp guage. I new this was a problem, I checked the water level, it was fine, the fan was running, I even had the heater on to add additional cooling, but the SC remained pegged. Now, I drove this home and for 20 miles it did this, and did not explode like I thought it would do. Since I have hot air coming from my heater, it seemed that the thermostat was working, along with the water pump. However, when I did arive home, the car was still running fine (idle was too high, but I think that was the IAC needing replacement, yet another story), and I shut her down. I asked my mother for a towel to remove the radiator cap and to my suprise, there was absolutely zero pressure in the system (this was only 2 minutes after pulling in with the temp guage pegged!!). I was very surprised at this as I thought it would be bellowing out steam and look not too much like old faithful!! So I started the SC without the rad cap on, saw no movement in the coolant, nor was the cooling fan on. Any thoughts on what this could be? There appears to be no white smoke from the exhaust so as far as I know, the Head Gaskets are ok (it runs well). I do have an extra radiator from my 1990 SC that I used to have, I am thinking that it may be the radiator, but if anyone else has a clue, your advice is welcome.

Thanks

Phil Stocker

·
Registered
801 Posts
dude try filling up the rad with the cap off

and then go from there. If the car doesnt ride really rough and theirs no smoke coming out of your exhaust and the coolant in the resevour is not boiling then your headgaskets are ok, maybe you have a leak somewhere?????? have you checked for leaks?????

Marvin M.

·
Formula 1 Freak
136 Posts
It'd be a good idea to pull the rad, and have it pressure tested. While you're working on it, you might as well change out the thermostat also. Put some fresh coolant in....maybe like 35-40% coolant, with the rest water, and "Water Wetter" or "Purple Ice" is always helpful IMO. I have always had to run some type of water additive in mine to keep it cool, but having no pressure 5 minutes after running it sounds strange to me. Try a new cap also.
Good Luck,
-Jeff

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sounds like the Rad to me becarful no t to push the car to hard as you dont want to overheat it and warp the heads.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Over heating solved!!!! Thanks to everyone's help!!!

Turns out it was my radiator that was just about 100% clogged (more like 95% or so). I used an SC radiator that I had in a previous SC I owned, worked fine. After filling it up with water, it never moved past the 'O' in NORM. I appreciate all the help from every one. Now all I have to do is change the oil and the Idle Control Valve and I should be OK.

Thanks again,

Phil Stocker

·
Formula 1 Freak
136 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out well for you, and your SC Phil...I kinda thought it sounded like a radiator problem. As I said before though, while your at it, it's always a good idea to do the "little things" too. Thermostat, system fulsh, and cap. The radiator bottle was pretty gunked up on my SC....I pulled it out, put some radiator flush in it straight with some hot tap water, and a long thin brush, came out good as new. Just an idea if yours is dirty like mine was.
-Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts