TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1500 miles on a completely rebuilt motor in my 90 XR7 5-speed with minor cam grind, long tube headers fully wrapped, custom exhaust with not Cats, underdrive pullies, overdrive pullies, raised SC top, jacobs wires, free flowing exhaust and modified 93 MAF drilled to 15/32 following web instructions using original electronics.

The problem is the motor severely overheats when I drive the car more than 20 min. Symptoms are gague way above normal on gauge, extreme underhood temperatures, and a hot hot radiator.

Radiator is brand new Valeo replacement, new thermostat(tested), new water pump, new hoses and fluid, two bottles of watter wetter and fan runs constantly with a toggle switch.

Please help! Could the drilled MAF cause this problem? Perhaps the long tube headers are getting too hot? O2 sensor?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
replace your messed up MAF with either an unmolested stock piece or a pre-calibrated MAF like C&L's 73mm.

This may or may not be your problem but it's good place to start. One cheap thing is to replace the T-stat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just a question. Did you build the motor or have it done? It sounds like you have one of two problems. Either your head gaskets are on backwards with the water openings in the front instead of the back or you some how recieved a vbelt style water pump designed to rotate in the opposite direction. Your computer should also give you a code for ECT out or range if your water temp. is truly very high.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The motor was rebuilt by Stan W. (from SCCOA with the black 12.9 Sec Cougar).
The waterpump is a factory dealer replacement.
There is no Service Engine light but I am positive that the motor is way too hot. I can't even touch the upper IC tube after the motor has been running for 30 Min.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you are not showing any of these signs. Remove your thermostat and drive it then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts