TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.8 and her lately it has been overheating slightly. The gauge will go to just below the hot mark and my gauge light would come on and then it would go off and the gauge would go back to normal. About a year ago I was having overheating problems and my friend had to bleed an air bubble outta my radiator. In the process he added a lot of water because we had no antifreeze. It seemed to fix the problem for a while but now it's doing it again. My questions are could it be another air bubble? Does it have to much water and not enough antifreeze? Or could it be something totally different. My dad and I are planning on draining the radiator in the next couple weeks and do a half n half mixture in hopes that it would help. I had a wreck about 2 years ago and totalled it. I don't think the radiator was damaged but it's there so it can be questionable. Any help would be greatly appreciated:D

·
Registered
724 Posts
If your lucky, it's not the headgaskets. I would definatly try to drain everything out and refill. I don't know what the temps are like where you are, but genrally a 50/50 mix will cover you down to -34F. Antifreeze also helps in elevating the boiling point, so even if it doesnt get that cold it can help. If it really got that hot you might want to replace the thermostat.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Well, that sucks, being it's your birthday. I hope you get it fixed.

Happy birthday! :woowoo: :znanner: :zbeer:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
93SC said:
If your lucky, it's not the headgaskets. I would definatly try to drain everything out and refill. I don't know what the temps are like where you are, but genrally a 50/50 mix will cover you down to -34F. Antifreeze also helps in elevating the boiling point, so even if it doesnt get that cold it can help. If it really got that hot you might want to replace the thermostat.
I know it's not the head gaskets because they have already been replaced. I'll try the 50/50 mixture and see if that works. If it still overheats then I gues we will go from there and try a thermostat. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
April, when your car is cold, open your radiator cap and look inside. If you don't see water near the top, go ahead and top it off with distilled water. It's not good to run water-only, but it works as a test to see if that remedies the problem. Water evaporates pretty easily, so it's likely you lost a good quantity of it over time. Once you're topped off, run the car, then let it cool, then make sure it's still topped off.

Good luck.

PJ

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PJ-4.2L said:
April, when your car is cold, open your radiator cap and look inside. If you don't see water near the top, go ahead and top it off with distilled water. It's not good to run water-only, but it works as a test to see if that remedies the problem. Water evaporates pretty easily, so it's likely you lost a good quantity of it over time. Once you're topped off, run the car, then let it cool, then make sure it's still topped off.

Good luck.

PJ
I might try that. It does have a little antifreeze but more water though. Thanks:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts