TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After telling someone that my 95 4.6 runs cooler going down the highway with the fan on high. I decided to snoop around my radiator to see if it was stopped up by leaves or debris.
I found a few leaves an a few pine needles, but not so much to cause issues. So just to be sure I wash both the radiator and AC coil.
It runs cooler, but still stays cooler with fan on hi.
195 is what computer wants, so I use fan to keep it to the 180 the thermostat that's in place now.
Works great.
One question , is the water pump as easy a replacement as it looks???

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
Yes, the water pump replacement should take all of about 20 minutes. If your car runs cooler with the fan on while driving down the road at speed, then there is something wrong. I suspect you are missing the lower deflector, which pushes air up through the rad instead of letting it go under the car.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,370 Posts
Yes, yes... it is usually as easy as it looks, unless the cooling system was neglected and there's a bunch of corrosion holding the pump in place. Breaking the ears off the pump is pretty common but usually a few good whacks with a BFH to the snout will knock it free.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is pretty much cherry, well now it is. It sat in the woods for years being used very little by my long lost uncle. When my '96 was killed by a crazy trucker I found this one on Craigslist. I went to see the car and the seller kept looking at me funny. Finally he asked my last name, then asked about my Father by name. He was my cousin from my fathers side of the family I hadn't seen in over 40 years...... This car was my Fathers brothers car... Way cool story.
Anyway it took many washings and lots of time with a tooth brush under the hood, but now it's about the nicest bird I've owned.

So far I have had Tbirds from these years: 1977, 1978, 1986 turbo coupe, 1994 super coupe, 1996 3.8, 1995 4.6...... Why do they call me Mr. Thunderbird..... 'cause I'm Oooolllld..... LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts