TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be dropping the tranny pan on the Cougar I just purchased and I was wondering: If the OWC is fried, will I find pieces of it in the pan? :2huh:

And if I find no "chunks" in the pan, is the problem most likely the 1 - 2 Accumulator? :confused:

(Symptom is no 2nd gear) :beek:

I'll be installing a new filter, 96 (dimpled) pan, and new fluid. :D

Just trying to get as much information as possible before I drive this puppy 900 miles from NJ to AL. :beek:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Hey, if you figure out the problem, let me know, I've been struggling with a no 2nd gear problem on my 99 CV tranny for a month. If I figure it out before you, I'll let you know too.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
It's possible that's what youre seeing. I can't really rule anything out unless I had a photo of the part that I could recognize.

·
Registered
456 Posts
no second gear could be more than just a OWC. the shift accum could be stuck/embedded in the cylinder bore. or, the shift solenoid could be shot. There are a few options....unfortunately, the pan must come off to even begin troubleshooting.

best of luck, and take some pics.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'll be under the car for just a little while while I change the filter. (I haven't even picked up the car yet and I'll only have one day to "troubleshoot" it once I do pick it up)

Unfortunately, no matter what I find, I'm going to try to drive it the 900 miles home. :beek:

But from what I've read and researched, the components for 2nd gear are not used for 3rd or 4th. So since 95% of my drive home will be in 3rd and 4th, I'm hoping it will make it. :leftright

Wish me luck.... :thumbsup:

·
8,239 Posts
good luck dude, don't stop for anything except gas. You are a braver dude than I.

Baby it.

I would have brought someones truck and a uhaul trailer.

JH

·
Registered
744 Posts
if the OWC is shot, you might find pieces in the pan, but when i dropped my man to rebuild my trans, i only found one little piece, not like a whole bunch.

you should be ok making it home, i drove my car with a shot OWC for about 200 miles before it got fixed. if your on the highway everythings cool, but around town it gets a little scary. just take it easy with it, be easy on the gas and it will eventualy find 3rd.

good luck and have safe trip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts