TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the owner of the thunderbird. That was at the SC/XR7 SHOOTOUT IN ST LOUIS,MO.
And it has a Lincoln MarkVIII /tranny in it.

Looking for some info on how it was wired up.

I have a 2003 cobra stang motor/trans/hole car to use.That I want to install in a SC Thunderbird.
Any help would be great.for this swap.

Thanks Randy

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
There are quite a few people on the boards with DOHC motor swaps. Do a search using the button on the top left of the forums and search for "DOHC swap" or something like that. You will probably get lots of posts on the topic. Then you can ask anyone you see in the posts about it since they dont always skim the boards and might not find your post. Especially if you are just looking for one person. There are many here that have done it and can give info. I dont know if any did a 03 cobra swap yet though.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
That was me. This will be edited soon to link you to my wiring notes post if someone doesn't beat me to it.

On second thought, my wiring notes would be absolutely 100% not applicable to what you are doing since you are starting with an EEC IV car. If you do a search for DOHC wiring notes you should turn up a fairly recent post by me, the thread was very active the week before the shootout. Lonnie would problaby be much more help to you in your wiring, that is what he posts as and if you look at the thread I referred to with the notes, he has some posts in there. He started with an EEC IV car and switched to a newer intake and had to use the new computer for emissions reasons.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
On the wiring note that 4 Cam Bird talks about with the older car, you can probably find a 94/95 tbird with a blown engine and/or tranny for under a grand. Then you already have the right computer stuff or at least a good start for switching it. Also a nice updated look exterior and inside. Also things like suspension would probably be better (being that its for a V8) unless its shot on another car if you go that route. And rear end. Since a stock V6 doesnt have the right size and a 94+ V8 would have the one you want for that engine. Unless you plan to just get a new FRPP unit anyway.

Thats just some thoughts I came up with while reading the whole post.

good luck,
-Shawn

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
He's starting with an SC he said, so he already has all the suspension parts that a lot of V-8 guys spend time and money tracking down. There would definitely be easier ways to do the wiring than finding a 94/95 in order to get the wiring harness from it to try to make my notes applicable. My question is, is the finished product going to use a manual or auto? The Cobra 6 speed perhaps? If you are using the manual, it might be eassiet to scavenge the whole underhood harness from the Cobra if the car is availiable, but I don't really know for sure what is gong to happen with stuff like interior wiring when you do this. I will have a little mroe insight on how big of a nightmare this could be by the end of the week as we are doing an engine swap in a car and attempting to just swap the underhood harnesses as we do it.

·
New Title Pending
56 Posts
I am in the process of putting an 03 cobra motor in an EEC-IV car, so if you need help you can stop by sometime and see the work in progress.

Brian

·
Registered
8 Posts
bjherron: check you PM's your box is full. where are you located at I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall for that project.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i'm at 40 and 141 maybe we can hook up sometime whats your schedule like this week. I was planing on going to the driving range but this would be ALOT cooler

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all,I have a 1994 LX that I can use.The 03 Cobra SVT that I have access to
is a complete car.Every side of it is junk but the top & bottom of the stang.
The junk yard wants $9500.00 for the stang.I got back with him and made a lower
offer so I should know something by the end of the week.

I am on the SCCoA board most of the time.So I came over here looking for Brad D.
To see if he may be able to help me on this project.Or other on this board.

My plans so far are ,To put the SVT motor,trans,rear sub-frame in the LX now.
I want to use the rear end because it is 2 inch+ narrower so I can keep wider tires
under the fenders.

I plan to use super Coupe clutch peddle ect,for the 6 speed cobra tranny.
I have a machine shop so it i no problem getting all the parts in the T Bird LX.

But I will be lost when the wiring job comes up.

bjherron,This is randy n connie.So maybe we can get together.I will E-mail you.
Its only 78 miles so maybe we should talk some.I need you to tune my SC again anyway.

randy

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I am Brad, in case you hadn't figured it out. I remember talking to you in STL. My wiring notes are really pretty specific to a 94-95 4.6L Bird taking a 93-95 Mark engine. May not have been the best way of wiring it up but what really is the best way? In any case it probably wouldn't be much help to you but I would love to see the end result of your swap. If you use the 94 LX as the Bird, I believe all the mounting points for the manual tranny stuff (clutch, slave cylinder, etc) are there since they made an SC still in 94 so I wouldn't imagine it requiring a lot of special fabrication, just parts collection? I am sure someone has done a manual swap that could tell you what they had to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well my wife was sittng at a stop sign.And a dodge 4x4 hit her in the back so the LX
was totaled.This happin 10-9-03.So it looks like the project is off.She didn't get hurt.
So the 1995 LX is toast.Didn't hurt any of the ZEON parts that stuff is good.

I am glad it happin now because I would have flippred out, if we had done the swap and this happined.

I am affraid I would be in jail for assult on a truck driver.

The main thing is Connie didn't get a scratch.

I posted earlier that it was a 94,its a 95 LX.

Now she is driving my SC.I hope she has better luck.With my car untill she get something different.

She is looking at a 2003 SVT red Cobra a guy has for sale a couple miles down the road.
And I am jealous.I could allway beat her with my SC.Do you think this wrecked cobra motor
would fit in my Ranger.I can't let my wife be faster than me.

RANDY Thank all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts