TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SES light just came on outa nowhere today. Engine still seems to run just fine. Went to Advance for them to check on any codes. They said it's a failed oxygen sensor heater on Bank 1 Sensor 1. I searched, but can't find out where this sensor is. Is there any danger in driving with this code until I can get to it over the weekend? Also, any advice on how to replace it would be much appreciated! Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Bank 1=passenger side bank that contains Cyl #1
Sensor 1= pre-cat sensor

To replace, disconnect the sensor connector from the car's harness (about 16" from the sensor), unscrew it from the exhaust pipe, reverse procedure to install new one.

Check the actual code and google it. Sometimes it's a lean or rich code that the clowns at the auto parts stores diagnose as a "faulty O2 sensor", when in reality it's just the messenger delivering a message that something else is wrong.

If it really is the sensor and causes the engine to run too lean or rich on that side, it might ruin the spark plugs and catalytic converter on that bank.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK...the day after my last post, the SES light just went out. It came back on the day after I filled the gas tank a week later, and then went out again the next day and is still off.
Car ran and still runs fine...no issues. The gas cap looks fine and is about 3 years old. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
OK...the day after my last post, the SES light just went out. It came back on the day after I filled the gas tank a week later, and then went out again the next day and is still off.
Car ran and still runs fine...no issues. The gas cap looks fine and is about 3 years old. Any thoughts?
O2 Sensors misbehaving wont' case the car to "stop working." Your car will still run but your MPG can suffer and if the car ends up running too rich, you can be unduly clogging your cats.

Personally, since rockauto.com will sell you a replacement O2 sensor for $20-25, I would just go ahead and replace it. Or, if you want to confirm that things are misbehaving first, just buy an OBD2 code reader and read the code the next time the CEL comes on....
-g

1 - 6 of 6 Posts