TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some research since the Cobra R's I bought are 7" wide instead of 9" i wish for.

Turns out whomever had these wheels before put 245/45/17 on them. tires are way too wide and the squishyness I keep feeling in the car is the sidewalls flexing... (the tires go past the wheels easily 1/2" on each side...)

Right now a new set of 245/45/17's can be had on tire rack for 260 + shipping.
but, wrong size is wrong size.

two options:
1.) buy cheapo tires saving at least 200 dollars. Send wheels out to be widened 2". ($$?)
2.) buy the right size. (235/50/17?) spend 460+ shipping.

Granted the car has stock power and doesnt put out TM or GM power levels. But i've always loved a good wide wheel.

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
Get in touch with 392bird. He has 17x9 CobraR replicas that he is looking to trade for 17x7s.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are true ford 17x7 cobra R's. (ford stamp etc...) In the thunderbird pattern.

I'll send him a PM. Mine are in "fair" condition I had to redo em when I got em and repainted them "gunmetal". I need to redo it when the temperature gets better.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i ran 245/45/17s on Ford manufactured tbird spec Cobra rims for 12 years. The right tire makes a big difference. I ran everything from Kumho Ecsta Supra 711s/712s to Michelin Pilots and Firehawk SZ50EPs. Cheaper tires will have a softer sidewall, better tires, the opposite. The Pilots I had, including two different BFGs (g-force t/a and KDWS) really kept the car crisp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts