TCCoA Forums banner

P&Ping Heads

600 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  slayer 
#1 ·
How hard is it to P&P Non-PI heads? I know that I won't be able to bring it to Renegade standards, but are there any parts of the heads that can bring out some power? Maybe smooth out the ports or something? I will be running PI cams or Crower cams with the heads. Oh yeah they are coming out of a 96 T-Bird.

#2 ·
dont get Crowers or Cranes..they are regrinds. If you are gonna get aftermarket cams in addition to PIs look at Comp. I beleive one thing to keep in mind is that the intake runners have swirl dams, they are for a reason..i believe JL said something to that effect once.

joseph

#3 ·
Pooperscooper said:
How hard is it to P&P Non-PI heads? I know that I won't be able to bring it to Renegade standards, but are there any parts of the heads that can bring out some power? Maybe smooth out the ports or something? I will be running PI cams or Crower cams with the heads. Oh yeah they are coming out of a 96 T-Bird.
There is a reason that people have just started learning about the power that can be had from NPI heads, and thats because its not easy. Unless you know what your doing, your only going to screw things up.

#4 ·
The Great Obucina said:
dont get Crowers or Cranes..they are regrinds. If you are gonna get aftermarket cams in addition to PIs look at Comp. I beleive one thing to keep in mind is that the intake runners have swirl dams, they are for a reason..i believe JL said something to that effect once.

joseph
Crower sells new billets now..I was gonna buy a set,but they like them alot more than I do(too much $$),so Comp is gonna get my money.The Crowers also have far too much lift,IMO..you'll break springs regularly due to the high valve acceleration rates to make that much lift.
The combustion chamber has the swirl dam..and they need to stay where they are.
JL

#6 ·
Pooperscooper said:
Are there any big problem spots that restrict flow in the heads?
It's not a matter of where ther'es restrictions,but the overall port shape,taper,diameter,and entry angel into the combustion chamber..it's not something that the shadetree mechanic can do at home with a dremel/die grinder.It needs to be done by somebody that has spent many,many hours on the flowbench perfecting.A change as little as moving a port wall .010" to one side or the other can make a tremendous difference in the airflow of a particular port.
JL

#8 ·
Pooperscooper said:
I know. I'm just trying to be cheap and not have to spend $1800. So right now I just have planned the stock heads and some cams. Then when the money comes around, I'll send them somewhere good.
I believe a P&P, only, from Jim is $700.....that does not incude tear down,
reassembly if wanted, or shipping. EVERYTHING else is extra...valves, springs,
valve resizing,etc....that's how you get to $1800 real quick. But just a set of 96-97
NPI's or PI's depending on preference, that have had "just" a P&P job done
by him are hardly something to sneeze at.....

Listen to JL....even if you don't screw something up, which is very likely (nothing
personal), the odds of making any noticable improvements are mighty small....

It's taken Jim A LOT of heads to be where he is now...and he's still evolving and
finding areas of improvement...if I quoted one of his latest CFM rates...you wouldn't
believe me.....so if you can scrape together a P&P job, you might really want to
contact him.

#9 ·
So who is this Jim character? Where do I contact him? And what exactly is the "teardown," reassembly... ?

Sam

#10 ·
He's Renegade Racing...I think his charge for teardown and reassembly
is something like $35.00 each...but I'm not sure about that figure so
you'd need to ask him.....

#11 ·
slayer said:
So who is this Jim character? Where do I contact him? And what exactly is the "teardown," reassembly... ?

Sam
Sam -

You have mail....

#12 ·
I didn't get any mail... Please send again to genie144@aol.com Thanx :) Is that the standard for any heads, or just the Tbird? I will have a DOHC so that is the ehads that I will be looking to have PnPed...

Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.