TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I feel like a moron asking about this, but I'm a little baffled.

I'm replacing the power steering pump on my Tbird, and I say replacing because it's still not done. New pump is bolted in with hoses attached and the pulley is 99% of the way installed. The bolt / nut that they include with the pump to press the pulley back on stripped when I had the pulley about half-way (it was getting insanely hard to turn the wrench at that point). After that I took the pulley back off, lubed the pump shaft and pullet hub with motor oil, got a grade 8 bolt and some washers, and used an impact ratchet to run the bolt down. That got the pulley almost all the way on, but there's still about a 1/4" problem and you can see the belt is not straight when you loop it around the pulleys. After that I took the pulley back off and called it a night.

I'm almost afraid to ask this, but I've seen a tool called a "Ford power steering pulley installer" but have never paid much attention to it, because I've done this several times before and never had a problem getting the pulley back on.

Is there a trick to this that I don't know about?!

(This is on a '93 5.0L motor in my '90.)

·
5,650 Posts
I would just go to Autozone and get the pulley installation tool. The bolt/washer that comes with the pump isn't the greatest tool to use, and I've found that using it only gets the pulley to a certain point and then the pump will just spin or the bolt will come loose as you try to go further.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, bought the friggin tool, had it back on the road in 10 minutes. Always trying to cheap out, never works. :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bigger hammers are not always the answer. Just keep getting the oddball tools one at a time and eventually you'll have a good toolbox. Just don't loan them out!!

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I like to think I'm smart enough not to hammer something like that, though I did consider just bashing the crap out of it for my own violent release.

As anticipated, the tool I bought had a nice bearing, was made of hardened steel, and was fine-threaded to make it easier to tighten. The main reason that I didn't want to buy said tool was because the nut/bolt/washer has always worked for me in the past and I see this as being a single use item. Oooooh well.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
Bigger hammers are not always the answer. Just keep getting the oddball tools one at a time and eventually you'll have a good toolbox. Just don't loan them out!!
My red car had the only car part I ever had to remove with a hammer: The water pump!

:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm having the same problem right now with my p/s pulley. The tool from autozone doesn't seem to thread very far into the shaft, like 2 threads, and pulls out before I can get it all the way on. What's the threading for the inside of the shaft, maybe I can clean them up with a tap?

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Though others had marketed similar machines before, Z House. prefab a disperse with its speeding, its low cost, and its cognition to eve isk write objects in alter. The midrange printer Z Firm. give use to gain the Candy Band figurines sells for nearly $40,000.

:confused: What planet you from

·
Registered
645 Posts
What a lazyass spambot. It couldn't even make it's own retarded thread. Have fun getting owned by the mods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts