TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the recent cold snap up here (temps are generally within 15 deg. of 0 F) my radiator's started steaming out a little coolant on the right (hot) side where the plastic tank is attached to the aluminum core, and I have a CEL for P0135 (O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 per my OBDII tool). Is it likely that these are just caused by the cold, or another root cause like an engine problem, or is it maybe just coincidence? The p1443 evap. emissions code I've had off and on tends to go away with the cold (from the car not doing the test maybe?). I also hear a clicking from somewhere under acceleration, like the fuel injectors make at low speed but the new sound is loud enough to hear over the engine when it's making power. My oil and coolant both look good, the transmission is 6,000 miles old.

I figure I'm going to replace the rad hoses, heater hoses, and rad cap when I do the radiator, and possibly the water pump and t-stat too (I figure it'd be a shame to have, say, the w/p fail a little further down the road, and have to drain all that new coolant.) What kind of investment am I looking at for parts and time? Can these rads be fixed or am I better off with a new one from a parts store? Would I be better off with a helper for some of the tasks? Which O2 is bank 1 sensor 1, do I need any special tools, and is it customary to replace them all when one is bad (like I do with spark plugs) or just the bad one? What's a likely root cause for the P1443 (I checked the solenoid valve on the carbon canister and it seemed to work?) What component might be clicking under power (cams? valves?) And how many knuckle bandages will I need? :)

Thanks in advance...

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Set aside a day for this work if you want to take it easy and enjoy working on your car...if time is a problem it can be done in an afternoon but it's nice to take it easy.

That silly plastic/aluminum radiator: you're just better off getting a new one.

The water pump will probably take an hour or so, the radiator should be a half hour at most. Heater hoses, maybe 20 minutes tops...just don't force the intake-to-heatercore line or that fitting will pop out of the manifold. Cut it off if needed, but don't force it.

The 02 sensors, I would just replace both front sensors. Those are bank 1 sensor 1 (drivers side closest to engine) and bank 2 sensor 1 (pass. side closest to engine). Might want an 02 sensor socket, any parts store should have these.

And 1/2 box of knuckle bandages also. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
www.radiator.com

changed mine two years ago when I shelled the transmission, was under $200, and is by Visteon (Ford's OEM).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts