TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a '95 T-Bird LX 4.6; it's got ~95K miles on it and runs great. I got it from my grandma back in February after she owned it for almost 2 years. The last year she had up until now the CEL has been on. I scanned it here at work back in March and cut it off then after replacing the PCV valve and all the hoses going to it (tech said there was a vacuum leak there plus the valve was busted inside). The CEL stayed off for about 3 weeks, then came back on and has been on ever since (scanned it today and the code is P0171). Here lately, once the engine is at full operating temp, it has a rough idle that seems to hover around 500 to 600 RPM. Also, it has a hesitation if I floor it from a stop; like it's falling on it's face for just a split second. Any ideas?

FWIW I am installing brand new Motorcraft plugs and wires this weekend.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's the next step. Put the new plugs and wires on and found a pretty big vacuum leak where the intake pipe meets the throttle body (original clamp had come loose). Fixed that along with the new plugs and wires and it now starts up much better/quicker and idles much smoother. Still doesn't like WOT so I'm guessing that's the MAF.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts