TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cel light came on while driving my 96 lx. this car was sitting for a while before i had purchased it . i pulled the codes p0401 and p0430. after looking at the EGR, it was gunked up with carbon. the hose is very hard to get to so i dont know how i can clean that. After cleaning it out the car has run better but i hear a water sound where the pass side cat is while im driving. can these codes be related. any suggestion?

·
5,650 Posts
The EGR tube isn't what generally gets clogged up. It's the passage into the throttle body adapter that closes up. Did you take the EGR valve off and inspect the passage leading into the adapter?

Water on the passenger side cat comes from the evaporator case drain when you run the A/C and is completely normal.

Also, P0430 is a catalyst efficiency code for the driver side cat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i switched out the valve and cleaned the passage. have been driving for a few days and no issues. keeping my fingers crossed

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
light cam back on today. code read p0430 i also have hollowed out cats on my 97 and would consider swapping into my 96. is there anyway i can fix this issue or swap the cats and NOT have a CEL Please help. thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 96 which i am driving now has the CEL . are my cats going bad, or what ?. i will not spend money to replace the cats because i already did that on my 97 and had to hollow them out. i would just like to have a running car the has NO CEL. i dont know what to do, should i replace the 02s? or just leave it alone and hope the car runs ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My issue is that there is NOTHING after market done to this car. if i continue running the car will it eventually get clooged, or will it just run with the CEL

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know its just frustrating because i bought this car hoping i would not have to do much work to it. do you suggest putting the hollowed out cats on when the cats that are on the car now go, or will that throw more codes?

·
5,650 Posts
I would never suggest putting on hollowed out cats. The huge empty chamber where the catalyst material used to be is terrible for performance and efficiency. If you are going to run without cats, I would recommend replacing the cat with pipe. This will maintain the exhaust gas velocity. If you replace the whole Y-pipe assembly with hollowed out cats, you'll also get code P0420 for the passenger side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts