TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fighting this one for a while. Cleaned the MAF and did not help.

Tech mentioned something about the wiring to one of the cats when my daughter took it somewhere to have it looked at.

I have a new Motorcraft DY761 sensor but it is listed as a "front" or upper unit. I want to swap the downstream sensor as that seems to be more suspect from what I have read in other posts....

However the Motorcraft DY1086 is listed as the proper unit.

Only difference I can physically note is the length of the wire pigtail on the DY1086 may be shorter.....

Other units are listed as "either"....but I know Ford is good for changing something like the paint color which changes the application.....

Anyone have any experience with swapping O2's front to rear like this? Would save me some beans if this one will work!

Thanks!
Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
The difference is in the location of the little alignment tabs. If you want to swap a front sensor for a rear, you have to cut that little tab off. That being said, a p0420 or p0430 code means your cat is bad, plain and simple.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roger that. Since I have the O2 sensor in hand....and in many cases it appears that a new sensor has resolved the 0420/0430 problems, I'd like to try that first rather than the hassle of swapping a cat.

Thanks!!!
Steve

·
Registered
134 Posts
The 1996 Tbird 4.6 that I bought about 5 years ago had a p0430 code. The last owner sold it thinking it needed cats and in Cali...cats are expensive.

I swapped in a rear O2.....never saw the light again. Bought that car cheap, gambled and won.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I sprayed tons of MAF cleaner on my 5.0 to stop it pinging...did squat. Only solution was a brand new MAF. Stuff gets old, coatings wear off...

Just FYI..

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I sprayed tons of MAF cleaner on my 5.0 to stop it pinging...did squat. Only solution was a brand new MAF. Stuff gets old, coatings wear off...

Just FYI..
I'm going to refer people to this post when they start getting crazy about spraying the MAF all the time. I have had two of them go bad not long after spraying them with the correct cleaner. May have been a coincidence, but I would not bet that way.

If a paper filter was always used, you could almost go the life of the vehicle without ever needing to spray one, especially on the cartridge style MAF they used in our 2004 CVPI. Yet guys on the Crown Vic forum talk about spraying the MAF all the time. The way it's positioned in the air stream, it would take 300k miles to get dirty.

Always look at it with a magnifying glass before spraying.

Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts