TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day the ol' 97 threw a P1443 code that had to do with EVAP.. Replaced the canister, and a couple dry rotted hoses and presto! Good as new! CEL even turned itself off this time

...... Until tonight :')

Not only is it throwing the P1443 again, but now it's friend P0430 (catalyst not working properly code) decided to join. I did swap in a new Evap sensor because I thought maybe if the canister died, the sensor was on its way out anyway... No luck. All the hoses look fine. I can't find any vacuum leaks. Car drives fine, but you can smell what seems like an exhaust leak, or gassy smell from the passenger side though it's done this since I got it (my 96' did this the while time I had it)

Any suggestions? Just my luck that the car would do this the night before I move 6 hours away to a new state!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
FYI, those canisters rarely go bad. If they do, you have other problems.

There are at least 8 of the little evap hoses all along the right side of the car - in the canister area, one in the engine compartment, under the wheelwell splash shield, and near the fuel filter. Obviously, be sure to use fuel hose to replace. There is a tech article that shows all of them floating around here somewhere. The hose connector at the canister that is two different sizes is tricky to replace, have to make a custom piece.

It's also a good idea to replace the EVAP solenoids, actually two electrical parts. They are finicky about throwing a code - I had a new Ford one go bad in 10 months.

Lastly, I had a gas smell for years that turned out to be the 5/8" rubber tank filler vent hose. To find it was bad, I filled the tank then jacked up the front of the car really high and fuel came dripping out under the tank.

Al

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So update.. P0430 is still on. The EVAP problem seems to be gone, but i cant narrow down this P0430. The cars RPM's dip down a bit every couple of seconds when at a stop light in drive. You can feel it vibrate when it does that, especially when the fan kicks on. Other than that it drives fine. No odd smoke out of the rear, and no odd smells since replacing the EVAP stuff.

New parts so far:
  • Evap Canister (put new hoses as well)
  • Evap solenoid (also new hoses)
  • MAF sensor (happened to have one laying around)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update 2:

Took it to a reputable shop. Cats arent working properly. The RPM thing they said has to do with the AC system. Getting the cats replaced with aftermarket ones and the computer updated

·
Registered
101 Posts
For me, the evap purge solenoid always fixed the P1443. Common problem. You've replaced that. In my experience cats rarely go bad unless there was a problem with the engine that resulted in unburned fuel or gases being dumped in the cat. If the cat doesn't rattle, its probably a good cat. The P0430 for me turned out to be a bad oxygen sensor. There is one before the cat and after the cat. if you have no other codes, its likely the one after the cat but you can replace both to be certain. Each bank has a cat. I think the P0430 is bank 2.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me, the evap purge solenoid always fixed the P1443. Common problem. You've replaced that. In my experience cats rarely go bad unless there was a problem with the engine that resulted in unburned fuel or gases being dumped in the cat. If the cat doesn't rattle, its probably a good cat. The P0430 for me turned out to be a bad oxygen sensor. There is one before the cat and after the cat. if you have no other codes, its likely the one after the cat but you can replace both to be certain. Each bank has a cat. I think the P0430 is bank 2.

I just got it back with two new cats installed. So far the code is gone, and it passed state emissions (just moved so i needed it to pass do i can register it). They claim they tested them and they were both failing so i took the gamble and decided to go with their suggestion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm glad the problem is behind you. I'm in CA and I've never had a bad cat in well over 200K miles except for when I didn't know any better and destroyed a cat by running my 4.6L while it was misfiring due to a bad coil. In CA, two new cats would run into some real $$ but it is more expensive here for sure. If I did as you did I'd be under the car yesterday to see if it looked like they quietly replaced one or more Oxygen sensors while they were at it! You might need to remove the wire to get a good look though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts