TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks ago to the day my 97's Service Engine light came on. I used a friends OBD II scanner and it said the P0430 code was being thrown.

P0430 "Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 2)"

After researching it here I couldn't imagine my cats or o2 sensors needed replacing. So I cleaned my MAF according to the reccomendation of a thread on here. I reset the computer and the light didn't come on.

That was until today. Light came back on so I went and bought a scanner from Carquest. Same code P0430.

Did my MAF get that dirty that fast (the weather has been crappy here so there is slush and **** all over, but my filter looks clean) or is it really the cats? Why would it take 3 weeks (funny it was to the day) for the light to come back on.

I know it's not the smartest thing to do, but before I picked up the scanner I pulled the fuse in the engine compartment to reset the computer. When I put the fuse back in and restarted the car the light was still on.

Thanks for your help guys!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
ur cats are bad. I got the same code. Replacing the cats made the code go away for good.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm having my CATS checked today. I just find it hard to believe that they are bad at less than 70k miles.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
mine went bad at around 88k. So its definitely possible. That code indicates that they are not working up to specification anymore, hence the code. Since ur in north dakota u can replace them with magnaflow cats with a true dual setup im sure, because i dont think theres emission issues there.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Many things can cause that code...

HTML:
Code:
: P0430 - Catalyst       : Indicates Bank 2       : *  Use of leaded fuel  : -  Compare HO2S        :
: System Efficiency      : catalyst system        : *  Damaged HO2S        :    upstream &          :
: Below Threshold (Bank  : efficiency is below    : *  Malfunctioning ECT  :    downstream switch   :
: 2)                     : the acceptable         : *  High fuel pressure  :    rate. Under normal  :
:                        : threshold              : *  Damaged exhaust     :    closed loop fuel    :
:                        :                        :    manifold            :    conditions, high    :
:                        :                        : *  Damaged catalytic   :    efficiency          :
:                        :                        :    converter           :    catalysts have      :
:                        :                        : *  Oil contamination   :    oxygen storage      :
:                        :                        : *  Cylinder misfiring  :    which makes the     :
:                        :                        : *  Downstream HO2S     :    switching frequency :
:                        :                        :    wires improperly    :    of the downstream   :
:                        :                        :    connected           :    HO2S quite slow     :
:                        :                        : *  Damaged exhaust     :    compared to the     :
:                        :                        :    system pipe         :    upstream HO2S. As   :
:                        :                        : *  Damaged muffler     :    catalyst efficiency :
:                        :                        :    /tailpipe assembly  :    deteriorates, its   :
:                        :                        : *  Retarded spark      :    ability to store    :
:                        :                        :    timing              :    oxygen declines and :
:                        :                        :                        :    the downstream HO2S :
:                        :                        :                        :    signal begins to    :
:                        :                        :                        :    switch more rapidly :
:                        :                        :                        :    approaching the     :
:                        :                        :                        :    switching rate of   :
:                        :                        :                        :    the upstream HO2S.  :
:                        :                        :                        :    Once beyond an      :
:                        :                        :                        :    acceptable limit    :
:                        :                        :                        :    the DTC is set.     :

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J.Miller said:
Many things can cause that code...
Thanks for the post. All they did yesterday was check the back pressure before and after the cats. I am not sure how well of a test that is. I thought they were going to check the voltage output of the sensors. No more than 5 miles after I picked up the car the CEL light came back on. Again 0430, I erased it once more and made a ~100 mile trip home with no problems.

Is there a better way to test my cats? Where should I go from here, should I just go down the list of possibilities that J.Miller posted?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts