TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday during some substantial rain my car started acting up. Had a buddy check my CEL and pulled a P0743 code for a Tourque Converter Clutch (TCC) electrical system malfunction and I don't know what im looking for. Anyone ever experience anything of this nature. The car is having some seriously hard shifts on the upshift and downshift. Any troubleshooting tips would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have disconnected the harness and used an entire bottle of electronics parts cleaner and plugged it back together, i have reset the computer (unhooked battery), and the problem still occurs. There is a solenoid for the TCC but i am unsure of where exactly it is located and I was told that this also could be the culprit, is this true and where might it be? As far as replacing the TCC, has anyone ever done this and is this a fairly easy fix?

·
5,650 Posts
I have disconnected the harness and used an entire bottle of electronics parts cleaner and plugged it back together, i have reset the computer (unhooked battery), and the problem still occurs. There is a solenoid for the TCC but i am unsure of where exactly it is located and I was told that this also could be the culprit, is this true and where might it be? As far as replacing the TCC, has anyone ever done this and is this a fairly easy fix?
It's easy to replace. You have to drop the pan, remove the filter, and there is one bolt holding the TCC solenoid bracket on. Remove it, disconnect the electrical connector, and reverse the process.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Pictures Please!!!!!!

I have the pan dropped, and the valve body dropped but my manual is very weak and does not show any pictures of what im looking for. I am specifically looking for the solenoid for the TCC and im looking for the TCC itself. This is on a 1995 Thunderbird V8. Again i am having trouble with hard but sloppy shifts and I pulled a code for the Torque Converter Clutch Electrical System malfunction. I have very briefly checked all the conections on the harness and found no apparent flaws or problems, so i decieded to dive in a little deeper. I need to know where to start looking and what to start trying to replace without turning this repair into a small fortune. I will be posting picture of where im at in the process and if you could sokindly point me in the right direction of this repair. Thanks for all you help in advance guys, i need to get this car running right again and soon. So if any of you out there have pictures of either replaceing these things or just pictures of where the are loacted that would make it much easier for myself.

Tim

IS THIS A PROBLEM!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

SAME PICTURE DIFFERENT VIEW, ANYONE SEE A PROBLEM HERE!?!?!?!?!

·
5,650 Posts
Why did you drop the valve body? That was completely unnecessary for replacing the TCC. Looking at what I said above, I never mentioned removing the valve body, so I hope you are j-modding or replacing the 2-3 accumulator or you just did that for nothing.

This is the TCC solenoid:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also I would like to J-mod it but i do not trust myself doing it, and now that i droped the valve body do i absolutely need to replace the 2-3 accumulators?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone in my area, would you like to come over and assist in doing a j-mod as I have never done it before? Your services will be rewarded!!!

·
5,650 Posts
Solenoid Tested good, so where is the TCC?
What I circled IS the TCC. If the resistance checks out ok, it might still be bad, but carefully check all the wiring both inside the transmission and out. You might need to tear the external harness that goes around the transmission apart and check for problems.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone Up For Assisiting In A J-mod While Im Here????
Also my gasket for the valve body seems to be screwed up, can you buy these seperate?

This is the gasket you do the j-mod to correct?

·
5,650 Posts
So replace the TCC AND solenoid and replace the 2-3 accumulators as well as the tranny fluid w/ Mercon V and a new filter?
Replace it if you can't find anything else wrong. Replace the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators if they are the original design. Use the appropriate springs in the 1-2 and none in the 2-3. And j-mod the valve body. And install a tranny cooler.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how much do you figure this all will cost? also the tranny cooler might be out of the question as i know i won't have $$$$ for that. And whats with the no springs in the 2-3 accumulator? And when you say j-mod the valve body thats not just the gasket it also is the valve body itself correct? Sorry but tranny's are not my area of expertise.

Tim

1 - 20 of 25 Posts