TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im new here and have a problem. I have a 95 Thunderbird i just got and it doesnt shift in first or OD. It starts in 2nd and only shifts into 3rd. I pulled the codes and got 1-2 shift. Believe me when i say i been doing my homework on this car. I ordered a MLPS sensor to install and its coming tomorrow. My question is will this fix my problem or is my tranny gone? That would suck if it is cause im 17 and this is my second car from a BMW e30. I love this car but dont want to drop alot in it. Its a 4.6 liter.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hey im new here and have a problem. I have a 95 Thunderbird i just got and it doesnt shift in first or OD. It starts in 2nd and only shifts into 3rd. I pulled the codes and got 1-2 shift. Believe me when i say i been doing my homework on this car. I ordered a MLPS sensor to install and its coming tomorrow. My question is will this fix my problem or is my tranny gone? That would suck if it is cause im 17 and this is my second car from a BMW e30. I love this car but dont want to drop alot in it. Its a 4.6 liter.
Thanks
You could also have a bad solenoid or serious internal problems.

These trans have issues with the 1-2 accumulator and spring. Eventually I believe there is a loss of shifting from 1st to second from the spring breaking and the accumulator scuffing the bore. I would drop the pan and remove the snap ring holding the accumulator piston. I don't think the 95 needs a clamp to keep the spring from jumping, but push up on the cover before you remove the snap ring to be sure. There are tutorials around for this. Even if the mlps does fix the issue, I strongly suggest replacing those parts.

Its a very cheap fix if that is it.

Beyond a solenoid, MLPS and the accumulator piston, there is probably internal damage.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Thinks selector is in 2nd?

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you MLPS was in 2nd instead of Drive (or thinks it is), wouldn't the car behave just as yours is?

That would suggest bad MLPS which you suspected or it just needs adjustment...

Wait, you are getting a code on the EEC, oh well, fleeting thought lol

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Provided you have MLPS properly aligned going on to swapping out Solenoid Pack now is not that bad at all - After dropping Pan & Filter it's 2 fasteners Torqued to 90 inch lb & one connector - You can bench test them or test in place or just swap in new ones - You'll need 8 Quarts of Mercon V & a proper reusable Pan Gasket - The Solenoids probably the last shot at the possibilty of finding a relatively inexpensive cure here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I chanded the solenoid pack and it shifts in 1st and 4th now but in forth if you accelereate it just revs the engine, the gear disengages. Anyone know whats up?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Well we're making progess - You gotta 3 speed now at least... I'd pull new Code just for giggles - O/D lite binking? - One of the gurus will nail this diagnosis shortly I'm sure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright so i dropped the pan again and adjusted the solenoid, changed the filter and gasket. Now I have all gears and it runs great. Also hooked it up with some Mercon V and im so happy its finally fixed! Thanks everyone on this thread for helping me out especially BUCK. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm guessing he either fixed his car or burned it down by now but in case anyone else winds up with the same code this looks helpful ;-) http://www.obd-codes.com/p0781

1 - 17 of 17 Posts