TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have replaced the fuel filter. No smell from that area. But definitely a fuel smell from somewhere - pretty much only right after driving the car.

Al

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It is not uncommon for the lines to develop pinholes from rubbing on the floor near the sending unit. When that happens, you get the fuel odor you're describing.
Okay, thanks. I will see about dropping the tank down. Got to use up some gas first, almost full.

Al

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
There's a rubber vent crossover above the driveshaft; I see it replacing the DS.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
There's a rubber vent crossover above the driveshaft; I see it replacing the DS.
How hard is it to replace that crossover line?

I am still getting the faint gas smell after I drive the car then get out and walk around the car. The absolute worst was with a full tank of gas, parked uphill in a parking lot. Me and a buddy went to get in the car and I could smell it from 20 ft away. Does that give any clues to what hose I am dealing with?

Trying to piece clues together, Rob did add a Trak-loc and had the pumpkin out of the car 3 yrs ago. I wonder if that crossover vent got damaged or pinched in the process?

Thanks again,
Al

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,566 Posts
The line is at the back of the tank, and goes over the nose of the pumpkin. You should be able to get at it more easily if you drop the rear of the tank as low as it will go and let it hang on the exhaust. This is a picture that lets you see it (when I had the tank out and replaced the factory exhaust 10 years ago).

I have never tried to remove it, but I do remember I had no problems using it as a handle to carry the tank around when I had it out. My guess is it will put up a fight...

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks! I'm guessing it's 2 ft or less and looks to be around 3/8" dia? Looks pretty robust. The driveshaft may have rubbed against it, who knows.

That's assuming that hose is the issue. Like I said, STRONG gas smell when parked on an incline with a full tank. I may leave this job to Rob, in case it ends up being one of the fuel pump hoses in front.

Al

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,566 Posts
Yeah, maybe 16 or 18" long is my guess, but I think it's probably closer to 1/2" or 5/8" in diameter. Also check the clamps for the filler and vent hoses (passenger side rear of tank) in case they're leaky. If it's worst when you're parked on an uphill incline, it would be logical to assume the smell/leak is from the rear of the tank.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,617 Posts
I disconnected one end of it when I installed my Walbro, it’s awful. The pump related portion was the easier part of the task than disconnecting that dumb hose to get the tank low enough.

That said it’s pretty robust, mine had no dry rot compared to other rubber fuel lines so I just reused it. The evap hose section was the one that was crumbling

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I climbed under the car and all those hoses look fine. I snugged up all the clamps for good measure. The only place I found a faint gas smell was if I stuck my nose up near the fuel pump. Rob was thinking it could be the fuel pump gasket. Currently planning on having him replace the whole fuel pump assembly, and any of the other lines that look questionable.

Al

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Made some major strides on this. Filled the tank with gas and raised the front end really high with a jack - fuel came dripping out of the filler vent hose connection at the metal pipe.

The hose connection is tight, must be a split in the hose that I can't see. Hope the metal pipe end is in good shape. Hoping I can get away with just dropping the tank an inch to replace that hose.

Currently driving the car around to use up the gas I just put in, lol! It seems Advance has 5/8" fuel hose. May pick up some fuel resistant Permatex 29132 to smear a little on that connection for good measure.

Al

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Even though the metal line on the car scaled .625" (16mm) with a caliper, the 5/8" fuel hose I picked up looks so big compared to what I remember the hose on the car looking like. I did pick up the fuel resistant Permatex just in case it doesn't fit as snug as I would like. Hope it fits!

Al

21 - 32 of 32 Posts