TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
97 T-Bird, 4.6, 63K, original owner.

Check Engine light came on. OBD showed 2 codes, both P1747. After doing some research here, I decided to start with the internal wiring harness (soft harness, white connector). Still had the same problem... 2 codes, P1747.

I checked the external wiring harness and the two wires that go to the EPC seemed OK... no corrosion on the connectors and no resistance.

Decided to change the EPC. While I was in there, I changed the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons and springs (went with stock parts, since I always liked the smooth shift on this car), and installed a sonnax pressure regulator valve.

Still have the same problem... 2 codes, both P1747.

What do I do next? Should I keep looking for problems inside the tranny (MLPS, or one of the other solenoids)? Or am I set with the new harness and EPC?

I'd like to check the wiring harness that goes from the tranny to the computer, but I have no idea which leads to test. Does anyone have diagrams of the pin layouts for the two ends of the harness?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just tinkered with the old EPC. I gave it some juice from a 12V battery. I would expect to see some sort of movement (looks like there's a shaft inside), but nothing happens. It makes a popping noise, but I don't see anything moving.

What should happen when power is applied to the EPC? I'd like to figure out if this unit is bad and was part of my problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still having no luck with this.

The problem went away for a little while, but it's back again.

I isolated the two EPC wires at the PCM connector and connected a volmeter while driving. The hot lead was pretty consistently ~13.5V when the car was working and also when the O/D light was flashing. The return lead was a different story... when the car works, the return starts out with ~10.4V and as the car warms up, it gradually drops to ~9V. Now that it's acting up again, the voltage is all over the place, dropping to ~9V and spiking to ~13.5V. I'm guessing the voltage spike is what causes the O/D light to flash.

I'm starting to think that the tranny is fine, but the PCM has a problem. Can anyone confirm my suspicion or tell me what else to check?

Anybody have a good PCM for sale (part #F7SF-12A650-BB)? Not looking to spend a lot, since I have no idea if it will solve the problem.

Are there any other PCM part numbers that will work on this car (97 T-Bird 4.6)?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Still having no luck with this.

The problem went away for a little while, but it's back again.

I isolated the two EPC wires at the PCM connector and connected a volmeter while driving. The hot lead was pretty consistently ~13.5V when the car was working and also when the O/D light was flashing. The return lead was a different story... when the car works, the return starts out with ~10.4V and as the car warms up, it gradually drops to ~9V. Now that it's acting up again, the voltage is all over the place, dropping to ~9V and spiking to ~13.5V. I'm guessing the voltage spike is what causes the O/D light to flash.

I'm starting to think that the tranny is fine, but the PCM has a problem. Can anyone confirm my suspicion or tell me what else to check?

Anybody have a good PCM for sale (part #F7SF-12A650-BB)? Not looking to spend a lot, since I have no idea if it will solve the problem.

Are there any other PCM part numbers that will work on this car (97 T-Bird 4.6)?
This place has one F7SF-BB for $69 under stock number CCT095 listed on car-part.com:
http://www.mrautosalvage.com/

Good luck with it!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,374 Posts
The variation in the last two digits designates the catch code. FTE0, FTE1, MBE1,2,3, NPL2 and NPL3 are all interchangeable for 96/97s.

I cannot, however, offer any other insights into your problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The variation in the last two digits designates the catch code. FTE0, FTE1, MBE1,2,3, NPL2 and NPL3 are all interchangeable for 96/97s.

I cannot, however, offer any other insights into your problems.
I appreciate any help. I'm not sure this will solve the problem, but it seems like I should be looking outside of the tranny for the problem.

Sounds like I can use the part from any 96 or 97 with a 4.6. I found a good deal on the ECU from a 96 Cougar (part # f6sf-12A650-Ac)... will this work?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK... swapped the ECU and it looks like the problem is solved. Car was acting up right before the swap and worked perfectly right after. I'll have to drive it a few times to be sure, but I think this is it.

FYI - original ECU was F7SF-BB (LJC1); replacement ECU is F6SF-DB (NPL1).... seems to work without a problem, even though a few parts sellers said it wouldn't work unless it was an exact replacement.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
If my original PCM has a dyno tune on it, and i need to replace it, how would i go about that? does it have to be dyno tuned? or can i reburn the dyno tune file into the new pcm?

·
Super Moderator
9,374 Posts
Also assuming that the programmer was also initially used to flash the current tune to the vehicle, of course. :)

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i got an Xcal2, tuner used that to load the dyno tune into the PCM....xcal says 5 tunes left!

·
Registered
414 Posts
To grumpy steven what exactly was the problem that you was having with the trans. I am having a problem where it won't shift past 1st and i would have to shut off the car and then when i restart it works normally. Is this the problem that you were having?

·
Registered
274 Posts
what is the EPC you guys are talking about? my car is throwing a p1747 code now, but no flashing OD light. I may buy a new computer this weekend to try. But want to know what the EPC is so i can check it. Search feature doesn't show any results for EPC.

Edit: I found out what it is, but now where is it? I am having trouble figuring out where it is. I found the tranny article and it helped a lot. i just need to know where it is in case I have to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
9,374 Posts
Drop the trans pan, it's attached inside a recess above the fluid level to the side of the worm tracks in the transmission case near the 1-2 accumulator. It doesn't attach to the valve body; the last connector in the trans harness terminates at it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thank you! I am going to have to check it as well as my computer. My issue started when I jumped the alt fuse one night to get home. I am sure I fried something because the check engine light came on after I jumped the blown fuse. I know it wasn't the best thing to do, but I was stuck and needed to get home. I put a new alt on the next day. I do get a ceck engine light with p1747 however my OD ligh does no flash. The OD switch is currently not hooked up in my shifter handle though. I need to fix those wires. I will try to find a 94 bird or cougar in the yard this weekend and grab another computer. Never hurts to have a spare laying around in case that's not the problem. If not I guess I will drop the pan and put I. A new EPC and do my jmod a little sooner than I had planned.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I can't edit my above post on my phone so I had to make a new one. My car is a 94 cougar 4.6 but has a 96 tranny in it. My dad said he did not change any of the electronics in the tranny 2 years ago when he changed it out. Any idea what computers are compatible in a 94?

·
Super Moderator
9,374 Posts
My dad said he did not change any of the electronics in the tranny 2 years ago when he changed it out.
Well that's a problem right there. Whenever you swap out to a different year transmission, you have to at least use your original TCC solenoid and MLPS.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It seems to have worked ok for the las 2 years but I had planned on changing them back to 94 pieces anyway. So that will definatley be handled with the everything in the tranny as well as a jmod. Any idea though what computers are compatible with 94. I notice you posted above the 96-97 computers that were all interhangable. If it isn't my computer I like to have an extra known working computer on hand in case I ever need to rule that out anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts