TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after having chronic back pain for the last four weeks, I finally had my chiropractor do some X-rays (I tried being an old man and "working thru" the pain) well It didn't work out. I went to my medical doctor, she wants me to do Physical Therapy without even looking at X-rays! My chiropractor reviewed the Xrays with me yesterday and my left hip is over 5/8" lower than my right, causing my spine to twist and the discs to bulge......what happens before a hernia. Now I'm in terrible pain, it hurts to sit, lay, DRIVE, etc. The Medical doctor gave me Ibuprofen 800's, but to be honest, this is more pain than my wisdom teeth.
The Chiropractor says if I go to physical therapy, odds are I will stress the disc and possibly rupture it (hernia).
I can't play hockey, I'm not supposed to stress my back.... but I HAVE to work in Auto, and my Medical doctor doesn't agree with my chiropractor (even though she hasn't even LOOKED at the X-rays!!), so she won't give me anything to stop the pain - she thinks all I need is physical therapy.
I move around A LOT at work, working in a steel supply company, and I do have Auto Mechanics for two hours everyday......It's getting worse everyday, and I see my Chiropractor every single weekday.
Does anyone have any experience or ideas? I don't even know what to do!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
start by getting the best /most comfortable shoes you can find. and get another medical doctor. or at least a 2nd opinion, pt does not help for certian issues, and i personally think doctors think its a help when its really not for everyday problems . i when thru 6 months of it for my ankle with i did tendon damage and it didnt help .

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
jwcalla said:
Get a second opinion from an orthopedist. Bring your x-rays.

John
Ditto. Expect him/her to refer you for a set x-rays that are actually going to be useful to him. The one time I saw a chiropractor for some neck x-rays while awaiting my first appointment with a doctor they ended up being useless for any sort of medical diagnosis.

What they did do is help calm any fears that I had fractured/chipped/broken any bones in my neck a couple of days earlier so I could relax just a little bit while awaiting my appointment the following week. I didn't want to be an idiot and walk around for a week with a broken neck. It was either that or go over to the emergency room and spend alot of $$$ and if I was going to do that I should have already done it a couple of days earlier.

I'm not a fan of chiropractors at all even though i've known people including my mother who they have helped, or so they say. IMO the Doc is always #1 as far diagnosis and potential treatment suggestions. It's only AFTER I have their opinion that I would consider seeing a chiropractor and see what he has to say. For example if after medical diagnosis there isn't an effective treatment available or the only medical suggestion is surgery. Then I would consider seeing a chiropractor and get his opinion as to wether he could do anything to alleviate my pain short of having surgery.

From my limited experience doctors and chiropractors have very low opinions of each other. The doctors will frown on their methods and knowledge while the chiropractor will try to convince you all doctors will want to do is surgery to treat everything even though there are other treatment options available. Like their services for example. (Like liberty! that commercial used to crack me up) lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
ThunderBeast86 said:
The Chiropractor says if I go to physical therapy, odds are I will stress the disc and possibly rupture it (hernia).
So what does the Chiropractor do to treat you then? I would think that if PT risks herniating the disk then whatever a chiropractor is doing to you runs this risk as well? :confused:

If I was in excruciating or chronic pain and referred to a orthopedic doctor (orthopedist), or made an appointment directly with one myself and they wanted to refer me for physical therapy without even getting xrays done I would be getting a second opinion for sure!

And if she's unwilling to prescribe anything to alleviate your pain when you clearly and honestly explain to her that your experiencing chronic debilitating back pain good riddance to her IMO. NEXT! Doctors who don't take pain management seriously are the kind I want nothing to do with.

Having not seen x-rays and given she disagrees with your Chiropractors diagnosis just what condition has she diagnosed that she's confident in recommending PT? she must know what she thinks is wrong with you to recommend a specific course of treatment.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
You need to see an orthopedic doctor, and soon.

I had a very similar sounding injury 7 years ago, *severe* back pain; probably worse than it sounds like yours is. I was literally unable to move for a time, and I can't imagine more excruciating pain. I don't know in hindsight what the hell my parents were thinking not taking me to the ER. I went to the chiropractor several times for adjustments; my pelvis was tilted about an inch and a half towards the left. He got me to where the pain was bearable...but I'm here 7 years later and I still have chronic problems. I've had X-rays, an MRI, and evaluations by a few doctors all without any clear resolution. I've just started physical therapy this week, nothing else has helped.

I say all that only to say that you need to stay on top of this and be very proactive in determining what the real problem is and finding the best solution. I didn't, and I'm probably going to pay for it for the rest of my life now.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Southpaw said:
So what does the Chiropractor do to treat you then? I would think that if PT risks herniating the disk then whatever a chiropractor is doing to you runs this risk as well? :confused:

If I was in excruciating or chronic pain and referred to a orthopedic doctor (orthopedist), or made an appointment directly with one myself and they wanted to refer me for physical therapy without even getting xrays done I would be getting a second opinion for sure!

And if she's unwilling to prescribe anything to alleviate your pain when you clearly and honestly explain to her that your experiencing chronic debilitating back pain good riddance to her IMO. NEXT! Doctors who don't take pain management seriously are the kind I want nothing to do with.

Having not seen x-rays and given she disagrees with your Chiropractors diagnosis just what condition has she diagnosed that she's confident in recommending PT? she must know what she thinks is wrong with you to recommend a specific course of treatment.
That's the thing...I've been going to a Chiropractor for 7-ish years, and I've seen the same Doctor since I moved to this town 17 years ago. I know my chiropractor personally, and I trust her opinion because she rushed me to get X-rays the DAY I told her about it, where as my Doctor referred me to PT.
I don't know what your experience with a Chiropractor was like, but I go on a routing basis, just getting my spine "adjusted" where they "crack" your back into place, is how I call it! Then they adjust your neck, etc. There is no stimulating the muscles or lifting weights, etc. My chiropractor now has me lay on a table where she can stretch my lower back, decreasing the tension on the curved, bulging disc side. My doctor said "oh, you just pulled a muscle, PT is going to strengthen your lower back to prevent it from happening again." In the X-rays, you can clearly see my hip is lop sided, and my spine is twisting, and you can interpret where the disc is bulging, only a MRI will be precise enough to see how much it is bulging.

I did some research online, and the Bulging disc occurs, and if repetitive strain is put on the back, it WILL rupture- causing a hernia. PT will cause me to put strain on these muscles, my chiropractor does not strain my muscles, only stretches them to loosen the twisted side.

I'm upset with both of them, my Chiropractor told me that the twisting that has occured in my back could only happen over the course of a couple years, not in the past month. She told me "Well, you were so young when you came in, I assumed there wasn't any twisting going on, so I never took extensive X-rays."
Okay, she made a mistake...but my DOCTOR:mad: Doesn't even LOOK at x-rays and refers me to PT? What if I ruptured a Disc and caused permanent damage?!
I know that I shouldn't expect to be handed painkillers because I have seen the addiction and withdrawls they can cause... but it still is difficult to walk in the morning when I take a full day's worth of the prescribed medicine, I can't bend down to tie my shoes, it's hard to get dressed, etc.
I will take my X-rays to the medical doctor, I don't care what the heck angles she wants to see.........My disc IS bulging, my spine IS twisting, and my hip is cock-eyed, all which the naked-eye can see.
Of course, she won't want to sound stupid or admit she's wrong, so she will most likely refer more X-rays and say the initial X-rays were not sufficient to her needs. I understand if a MRI needs to be done, but the prognosis has already begun. There may be more underlying causes, but each day is worse than the next.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well to be honest "Most" Doctors do not like Chiropractors. But I hope this helps you.

My g/f hurt her back, when she went to the Chiropractor he did his initial exam and said "Do you know your right hip and shoulder is higher then your left".

She went and had an MRI done and it revealed that a she had a annular disc bulge at the L4-L5. And that the spine was slightly twisted, but that it was not totally uncommon.

SO.. The course of treatment.
1. A machine called the ProAdjuster Lifestyle.
While on this machine, her pain in the back has decreased and her hips are now level. Since she is still having some pain, yet manageable in her back, They have moved on to a different machine called:
2: Spinemed Therapy. This machine uses inferred heat to decompress the disc and reduce the swelling.

www.proadjusterlifestle.com (Here you can find a doctor in your area)

www.spinemedtherapy.com
Either the doctor that has the machine above will have this machine or your can call the number.

Hope this helps, I know back pain sucks!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jk89cat said:
start by getting the best /most comfortable shoes you can find. and get another medical doctor. or at least a 2nd opinion, pt does not help for certian issues, and i personally think doctors think its a help when its really not for everyday problems . i when thru 6 months of it for my ankle with i did tendon damage and it didnt help .
Yeah, my SAME doctor referred me to PT on my knee 5 years ago, because my right knee could not bend as far as the left...sounds stupid but it made me angry during hockey. Anyway, I went to PT for 5 months just about everyday, lifting weights, climbing stairs, RUNNING UPHILL BACKWARDS :)mad: ), and in the end...... there was not an ounce of improvement. She told me that if there isn't chronic pain and PT didn't help or fix it, then I didn't need to keep worrying about it. BUT, that time she had X-rays taken...not that it helped, but I guess she tried.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You don't seem to have a lot of confidence in your doctor, which is reason enough to get a second opinion. Orthopedists specialize in this area and, with all due respect, chiropractors do not. Like others have said, generally doctors and chiropractors don't get along too well. Nevertheless, anything the chiropractor can do is only going to be temporary.

It's not unusual for one side of the hip to be higher than the other. How did this start? Was it a sudden thing caused by something you did, or did it gradually build up over time? If it's getting worse then you're probably doing something (work?) that's making it worse.

I know PT sounds ridiculous but sometimes these things are caused by muscle strength and flexibility imbalances, and that's what the PT is supposed to resolve. But your current condition might preclude PT, which is why you need to get an opinion from an orthopedist and not your family doctor or chiropractor.

I wish you the best.

John

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha my dad told me it doesn't matter that I'm not a horse, and he'd shoot me anyway!

I never had constant back pain until it started 4 weeks ago. The specific event that happened was me replacing my alternator, I had been stuck in the awkward position... I'm 6'2 without shoes, and my car is Lowered- you could say my back was bent! And when I stood up, it felt like someone stabbed my Spine, so I figured I'd just stretch my back and get back to work (typical ignorant man's idea). Ever since then it's gotten progressively worse.
I am taking my Xrays to my doctor next week to see what she says, OOHH I forgot to tell you guys, there is a 6+ week waiting list to get on the PT because it can only be 6pm or later, she offered no other options, stretches, pain relief, etc....
If she doesn't show any immediate attention or CARE, then I'll have no other option but to get the heck out of her office.

You guys can only guess how hard I'll be partying this weekend:rolleyes:
oh well, I'm still alive

Who would have thought a car forum could offer chronic back pain relief? I love it!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
its life expereince and different medical situations over the years that we have encountered

·
Registered
280 Posts
well as they say, you are you own best advocate. If you don't like what the doctor or chiropractor says, find a new one. Remember, they work for you. Just like at our own jobs, if we aren't up to snuff we get canned. Same goes for a doctor. Don't like what they tell you or the medical care you receive, fire them. There are plenty of other doctors that will be more than willing to figure out the problem and treat you correctly.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So hows the back? Did you find any doctor that cared enough to help you?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have not gone back to see my family-care physician. I have been attending Chiropractic care daily, and it does not hurt much to accomplish daily tasks. It used to hurt to walk, or sit, anything. It is slowly but surely getting better...I think the plan is to continue this until my back/hip is straight, and then submit myself to P.T. when my back/discs/vertabrae are ready to be exercised, to continue to strengthen and balance out the muscle in my lower back.
The longer I sit, the more it hurts... so I keep doing daily work and daily activities, but the pain has gone down an incredible amount.
Thanks for the concern!

-Brian

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
ThunderBeast86 said:
I have not gone back to see my family-care physician. I have been attending Chiropractic care daily, and it does not hurt much to accomplish daily tasks. It used to hurt to walk, or sit, anything. It is slowly but surely getting better...I think the plan is to continue this until my back/hip is straight, and then submit myself to P.T. when my back/discs/vertabrae are ready to be exercised, to continue to strengthen and balance out the muscle in my lower back.
The longer I sit, the more it hurts... so I keep doing daily work and daily activities, but the pain has gone down an incredible amount.
Thanks for the concern!

-Brian
a chiropractor is not a real doctor. you NEED to see an ortho doc. Im sure you can find one from cleveland clinic.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
When I wrenched my back awhile back, I found a chiropractor that was both cheap and relieved the pain, and even told me how it happened, also offered a solution for it not happening again. As for saying that they aren't real doctors, the service they provide is invaluable, and I wouldn't discount it for one moment, and I will go back to them, cause they did some awesome stuff.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts