TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will likely be getting the car painted sometime next week. Currently it has the factory black paint (96). I can leave it the same color or opt for something different.

I was thinking Porsche Fashion Grey but also Ford's old Lime Gold Metallic. With both options I am debating on having the center portion of body cladding kept black, similar to some of the special edition versions.

Here is an example of the Porsche Fashion Grey: Fashion Grey

Here is an example of the old school Lime Gold Metallic: Lime Gold Metallic

Thoughts? If it helps, the interior is black on black with some of the factory grey bits still intact. The wheels are black with a wee bit of chrome.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I would consider more of a metallic silver to go with the black interior.

Post up some pics of the car. We need to see the interior, and if there is any aftermarket body cladding, etc. With black wheels and black interior, only certain colors may work with it.

I have seen a similar color on a newer Porsche, it looked like more of a battleship grey.

Al

·
Registered
412 Posts
Both my 67 Mustang fast back and 69 Ford van were lime gold. Beautiful color on the right car. I think it goes well with black interior.

·
Super Moderator
10,269 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife thinks the green would not look right on the TBird, and the Porsche Fashion Grey looks too modern. She thinks maybe gunmetal would look nice.

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
I have no comprehension of the appeal of these non-metallic gray paint jobs. They just look so cheap and industrial, literally like a battleship gray! I'm also not a fan of green, so my vote would be to stick with black, but go with a metallic black. Personally, I'm a fan of Tuxedo Black, found on some newer Fords. There is also a really nice black metallic that is on the newer Mopars, but I don't know the name of it.

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
I have no comprehension of the appeal of these non-metallic gray paint jobs. They just look so cheap and industrial, literally like a battleship gray! I'm also not a fan of green, so my vote would be to stick with black, but go with a metallic black. Personally, I'm a fan of Tuxedo Black, found on some newer Fords. There is also a really nice black metallic that is on the newer Mopars, but I don't know the name of it.
Personally, I don’t get the appeal of metallics, they suck to match and the sheen effect makes the paint look pixelated. Solid color lets the car’s body lines speak for themselves, and it looks more organic, whatever the color. The premium aspect of it is so shallow, if the car looks inherently cheap and low rent, more expensive paint won’t help it. In fact I find some metallics very gaudy, making some cars look cheap and glittery.

As for grey specifically, I’m not ashamed to admit it, I like primer grey on a lot of cars, albeit mostly old ones. That’s me, but for others, in modern times where every car on the road is silver metallic, charcoal metallic, beige metallic, dark red metallic, dark blue metallic, or white or black metallic(which to each their own, seems the most pointless), I think it’s refreshing to see ANYTHING show up on the teeny tiny color chart of new car options that departs from the norm of the last 25 years.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I disagree with Mike about green. You can go lambo lime green and then film a video like this

Seriously though, I have a black car and don't like how hard it is to keep clean. if you want to go non-stock, why not go nutty and pick something like Mexico Blue?
If i was ever dumb enough to convince myself to buy a Porsche, I'd probably talk myself into getting this $5K (or whatever gougy price it is) option

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
I'm not opposed to non-metallic colors, just non-metallic gray, and part of my objection to them is specifically because of how much it looks like primer. If you have a work in progress in primer, or are going for that look with a project car, or rat-rod, or whatever, that's cool, and I even sort of get it if you are doing a restoration on 50s or older car that may have been originally offered in that color, but to spend thousands of dollars on a quality paint job, specifically to get the look of "I sprayed this with rattle-cans in my driveway", it just seems like such a waste, especially on a car as expensive as a classic Porsche.

·
Super Moderator
10,269 Posts
I don't dislike solid colors; if fact, nothing I own is metal flake.

BUT; My personal favorite is a Candy Apple Red with big and small flakes, about 9 layers deep, with lotsa glossy clearcoat over it.

Flame on. :)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I would pick a color that looks like it belongs on the car instead of a "look at me" color. The black wheels and interior pigeon-holes you into only a few colors. The metallic black mentioned sounds like a possibility.

Have to keep in mind the possibility that you won't keep the car forever. No one wants to buy an oddball colored car.

Al

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been researching more...trying to find a color that is "classic". I like the grey(s) but the majority of cars on the road these days are white, black, or shade of silver/grey.

I am fond of the Bullitt Mustang green (Highland Green) and think that would look great on a TBird. It is different but does not scream look at me or mid-life crisis. Google here: Highland Green

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
Been researching more...trying to find a color that is "classic". I like the grey(s) but the majority of cars on the road these days are white, black, or shade of silver/grey.

I am fond of the Bullitt Mustang green (Highland Green) and think that would look great on a TBird. It is different but does not scream look at me or mid-life crisis. Google here: Highland Green
I’m 100% for this choice! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Dhg?

·
Super Moderator
10,269 Posts
Isn't that pretty much British Racing Green, like on MG's?

:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think Highland green is a bit darker IMO.

My wife and son keep pushing me toward dark silver/grey.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts