TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a couple of places here to get some estimates on getting the side paint resprayed along with the front bumper. Macco gave me an estimate of $890 when I take off all the trim. Another place told me $900 for just the side when I take off all the trim. I was really thinking that it would be cheaper than this, this is outragious for maybe 2sq. feet of painting. with most of the hard stuff done.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
taking the trim off is the easy part. Proper prep, paint matching, etc is where the money is. Then figure the wetsanding and buffing once the paint has cured, and there's your money.

Don't forget, shop rate is about $60 an hour right now, and they will always charge you retail for the paint.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Some smaller shops can do good work. Just ask around and see who has a good rep. for the price. Unfortunately, with paint it seems like you get what you pay for.

At least your car is one solid color. I will be getting my entire car repainted once the damage is repaired. I'm sure the TA paint code color (flip flop purple/blue) isn't cheap for a quality job. I'm probably looking at around $2,200 or so for the whole car.

Do a Google search for shops in your area, and see if you can get any feedback that way.

Jay

·
Registered
293 Posts
macco runs those scams. It is to get you in there. Unless the car is perfectly ready to be painted, it will cost a lot more.

I painted my camero with a hand spray can. I got it mixed from the local S&L parts store in a refillable/ rechargable can. Sprayed the car, sanded a little, and went back and forth about 5 times. Then came the clear coat. Not a bad job if I should say so myself. Done the whole top. Hood, roof, trunk in one weekend

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
ya try to paint it yourself would be really fun, its the prep work that sucks. I have a garage, maybe ill paint my brothers 88 tbird this summer after the rust is taking out and new metal is welded in!

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
That price is not bad considering we have tri coat paint on most of the late model birds. It also cost that much because of masking material's your primers sealers and basecoat and midcoat and clear. that is if your car is the tri coat system. then also have to factor in the mil or paint thickness if it's more than 12mills you have to strip down to bare metal and repaint if you don't you run a high risk of possible peeling or lifting. that's just my 2 cent's coming from autobody school this year.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
the best primer is old paint.....so basically 1 coat of primer will do the trick, i would use an acrylic enamel (1 stage no clear) and when it comes to how many coats, use your best judgement, more if you plan on wetsanding and buffing like i do. Ive been doing alot of bodywork lately and its acutally alot of fun.....im "shaving" alot of stuff, and as long as its done right, it seems to come out ok....finish putty is your friend. When i had my black bird painted it was 650 for the whole car, and they fixed one ding in the door. that was acrylic enamel one stage and it still looks great. 225 and 250 doesnt make sence to me, the materials cost almost that alone.

·
Registered
708 Posts
you should have gotten a written estimate. tell us what it says, and I'll tell you if its outragous. remember, when time is quoted, there is repair time, then theres paint time. Its seperate.

Some things you might find.

cover car for paint overspray .2 hrs
cover car for primer overspray .2hrs
tint for color match 1.0 hr
colorsand/buff %30 of paint time. probably 2 hrs.
repair bumper cover 2.0
refinish bumper cover 2.6 hrs
blend left fender 1.0 hr
blend right fender 1.0 hr
blend left door 1.5 hr
repair left quarter 1.5 hr
refinish left quarter 2.0 hr
detail mask quarter window .3hr
Add for clearcoat 3.0 hrs

if I understand right, this is what youre looking to do. you might not want to blend the other fender, and this assumes you remove the front bumper, corner lights, fender skirts, door panel, door handle, mirror, belt molding, partial rear bumper. thats about what that work order would look like at my shop.

So that there is 18.3 hrs multiplied by 55dollar labour rate=$1006.5.
busy shops have a different labor rate for insurance companies. Its $33/hr at my shop. even that =$603. you might ask nicely and get a better labour rate, but thats what quality work costs.

show us the estimates, and I can help you find ways to save money.

oh yeah grasshoppa
the stingy man pays the most.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I go home this weekend I will scan them and show them to you guys. One of the places want to pull every little imperfection that is remotely close to what needs to be fixed. I will get those to you guys, along with any estimates I will get tomorrow.

Not too long ago the owner of this smaller shop told me that they would do it for something like $350, but that was not the front bumper, and them doing the window removal. Im going to talk to them tomorrow. BTW, the offer is still up for anyone who really wants to paint mine.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
what exactly does "blend"mean? You cant just paint a car and be done? or is this for like painting a peice thats already painted and trying to get the new paint to match the old?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got my best esitmate, $607 at a dealership. Its not even a Ford dealership, its a Honda one. I told the guy, who actually was pretty interested in the car itself, that I would be taking all the trim off the car to save money and that I would be paying for it out of my pocket. I was surprised to see a dealership as my lowest estimate.

Next week when I go home to O'boro, which is 1/3 the size of Lexington, I hope to find better deals.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts