TCCoA Forums banner

Paint Gun

799 views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  coggonobrien 
#1 ·
hi, i'm looking into getting a paint gun. i've borrowed my uncles cheapo a couple times but i'd like to get something better. what do you guys recommend for bang for the buck. i'm gonna be running everything from farm implement to base/clear through it. if possible i'd like one that hard a breather on the cap that could be removed and cleaned. (my uncles was just a plasic elbow that liked to clog so this caused a lot of issued when painting on my back under a grain wagon running gear :D ). thanks, Dave

#5 ·
I got one from MAC tools for about $150, and it works really well. It's just a little bit below a SATA gun. Also the MAC guy told me that they have a 30 day money back guarantee on them, so if you aren't satisfied with how well the gun sprays, you can return it and it will cost you nothing. Only bad thing is you need to completely disassemble it and clean it after every use, otherwise it gets all clogged up. Other guns that I have used are a little more forgiving and would usually let you get away with just running a bunch of thinner through it.

#6 ·
for cheaper guns the devilbiss finishline guns are alright. ive used the finex, and thats ok as well.

I make my living with the Satas exclusively and I have 5 of them. theyre more expensive, but honestly, drunk monkeys could get a nice finish with them. very forgiving. as far as tip size, 1.3-1.4 is great for base and clear. 1.5-2.0 for thick stuff like primer. i use a 1.5 for base and a 1.4 for clear. a painters main motivation for having seperate guns for base and clear is to prevent colored chunks from flying out as youre clearing a white car.

#10 ·
just quickie on sata2000 turns up about $400. I have a devilbiss finishline3 that I have yet to use.. bought on several recommendations. For the price of the finishline, they're a decent gun. We've got a host of SATA90s here at the shop that get used day in and out.

#11 ·
I would recomend the devilbiss guns you can get a decent one for around 200 to 300 a sata jet last time i priced it out a month ago at my discount through my paint supply store our school used was 600.If you want to spray upside down get the 3m pps system.I when you use the system it cuts your clean up time in half.The only time you should completely tear down the gun on clean up is clear.when i shoot base coat i just run thinner through a bit until i see clear fluid coming out.If you take it apart all the time.It will shorten the life of the seals and orings.

#13 ·
SplitPortBird said:
Astro DX3 is awesome,, its a knockoff of a SATA and works flawlessly. has a 1.3mm tip and works great with Base and Clears.

There on sale at Toolparadise.com and you can get a DX9 for primer (1.9mm tip)
can you change tips on the gun or do you have to buy a second gun? thanks again for the help everyone, i appreciate it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.