TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would happen if i opened up the headlights and painted the mirror part of the lenses with that niteshade crap. what im looking to do is get the look the marauder has with its 'tinted' headlights.

·
Registered
366 Posts
simple... they wont reflect any light... the marauder has tinted lenses on it. thats how they are made dark

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually the lense is clear, its the reflective mirror part that is actually a black mirror

·
Registered
250 Posts
VicRattlehead said:
actually the lense is clear, its the reflective mirror part that is actually a black mirror
dont some mustangs have that too? i thought about doing that too, but didnt know where to get somewhat transparent smoke colored paint.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The part that reflects light is the back of the headlight housing, the curved part.

The flat parts on the top, bottom, and sides are just for show. Paint (not nightshade) them black.

The Marauder uses plastic inserts, and not paint, to acheive that look.

If you find out how to get the lenses off then on again without breaking them - let me know how :).

·
Registered
366 Posts
wouldnt a black reflective surface actualy make the light projected from the headlight dimmer though?

ever shine a light at a white surface, then at a black surface and observe the difference.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MercCougarXR7 said:
If you find out how to get the lenses off then on again without breaking them - let me know how :).
on a 96-7 there easy, remove the 2 silver clips on the top and the bottom and the lense will just come off.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Man - that's pretty easy!

Except I have a 92 - and I've pried apart a 92-94 Grand Marquis headlight before (same part as the Cougar) - what a pain in the ***. I broke it too :(.

I don't think the black would minimize the output at all - the flat surfaces (NOT the back) don't angle the light anywhere but inside the housing. It's the back that you can't/shouldn't tamper with. Maybe polish it up a bit though while you're in there ;).

·
Registered
589 Posts
I don't think the Birds and Cougars below 96 had headlights that could be taken apart without breaking them.

Preston

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Todd Drefcinski said:
How you gonna do the corners??? That's the fun part. Let's find someone to make the dark tinted lenses for us...there's a group purchase for ya:)
ummmm wellll uhhhhh hmmmm i dunno.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
OnE-SaD-BirD said:

dont some mustangs have that too? i thought about doing that too, but didnt know where to get somewhat transparent smoke colored paint.
Like Vic said, night shades lens blackout.. you can get it from summit racing.

·
Registered
855 Posts
hey guys,.......this is just a SUGGESTION here , but what if you used these? they're optically transparent (i wish i would have had them when i got the car before they got yellow).....

since they're transparent,.......maybe you could throw on a LIGHT coat of that blackout paint to achieve the look?

http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsearch.asp?make_id=17&veh_id=243&year_no=1994&veh_opt_choice_id=&item_group_id=2

"We custom die-cut to fit your specific vehicle for a precise, perfect fit. LampGardTM comes with easy-to-follow instructions and applies to headlamps, fog lamps, turn indicators and parking lights to protect them from scratching, cracking and pitting."

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Todd Drefcinski said:
The blackouts are gay...tinted lenses look better:)
Let's try this again <a href="http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=7842">Nite Shades Lense Blackout.</a>

The exact same thing Keith was talking about.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
god i hate summit who in their right mind would use this picture as an advertisment.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
94birdnj said:
hey guys,.......this is just a SUGGESTION here , but what if you used these? they're optically transparent (i wish i would have had them when i got the car before they got yellow).....

since they're transparent,.......maybe you could throw on a LIGHT coat of that blackout paint to achieve the look?

http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsearch.asp?make_id=17&veh_id=243&year_no=1994&veh_opt_choice_id=&item_group_id=2

"We custom die-cut to fit your specific vehicle for a precise, perfect fit. LampGardTM comes with easy-to-follow instructions and applies to headlamps, fog lamps, turn indicators and parking lights to protect them from scratching, cracking and pitting."
no thats not the look im looking for, but thanks for the link that is a good product for someone that wants to protect their lenses.

basicly the look i want is the way the new 01-2 mustangs, the 03 marauder i want the look of their headlights, the "mirror" finish insid the headlight is NOT mirror like it is a smoked mirror or tinted glass with a mirror behind it. thats what i want. i will try the nightshades on the inside of the lenses on the old lense that i have here, i will let you know what happens, and as far as the corners go, i have a set of thoes here too that i will try to work on, its probably going to involve a dremal and cutting it open but ill see.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If that stuff could be done tinted it'd be nice - but is it removable on a daily basis (day/night driving)?

When my car is blue next year, I won't use the blackout headlight covers - they only look good on black cars IMHO.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MercCougarXR7 said:
If that stuff could be done tinted it'd be nice - but is it removable on a daily basis (day/night driving)?

When my car is blue next year, I won't use the blackout headlight covers - they only look good on black cars IMHO.
no, nightshades is a transparent "smoked" paint. so no remove to drive at night.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts