TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at the same car for over 11 years, and not getting rid of it anytime soon, I want to freshen it up.

89 Cougar ls, white.

I have a Taurus wing, and that might go on it.
I am putting the 97 Sport 16 inch 7 spoke wheels on it (since it is getting the larger brakes off the sport and needs the bigger wheels)

The mylar "chrome" that is in the molding is rusting and BBqed about 80% of the car.

I want to either:

paint the entire molding white and replace the chrome
paint the entire molding white and replace the chrome with black
paint the bottom 75% of the molding white and replace the chrome
paint the bottom 75% of the molding white and replace the chrome with black
Freshen up the black molding with black and replace the chrome

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic?id=bd70crBkTwrr7gTaqHcYITR3cXyk1Y-MWKl7v4xQp5Fd3Ig=&size=l

I think I want to maintain something at that line so it look long and mean (haha) and the trim has to stay because parts of the car have been repainted and the trim takes a lot of abuse in parting lots.

This is my daily driver/beater/spare/backup and also the car we take when we go to a place that has >30% theft rate (dollar movie theater with 2 stop lights between it and Mexico) and all around abuse taker, BUT I just took it on a 1000 mile trip with the family that included a trip to Mexico, so don't think I am running it into the ground either (but I am, it just takes it and says "THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER").

Opinions please!

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
Well, if you're set on keeping the molding (I'd get rid of it), I'd paint it white, and replace the chrome strip.

I ditched my moldings.

-Rod

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
racecougar said:
Well, if you're set on keeping the molding (I'd get rid of it),
-Rod
i disagree, the doors are to big and flat to not have the molding, there needs to be something there to tie in the front bumper with the rear.

id repaint the molding black, and then the chrome part, paint that white.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a 97 Cougar also and just recently had to have the nose painted. When I put the bumper on I replaced the chrome trim and grille well the rest of the clad mldg looked like crap I got a price of $200 for the 4 pcs of mldg which also has to be painted to match but I wanted the chrome. I was going to paint the chrome making the mldg all one color but my wife liked the chrome so I gave in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts