TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im gonna repaint the rockers black probably this weekend. What gives the paint the shiny look like a normal car? My friend said its clear coat so im guessing thats it..

·
Registered
708 Posts
well with a base/clear system, its the clearcoat. with anything else, its the wet, smooth application. maybe a buffing when its done. what are you gonna use? how you gonna sand it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
It is the clear coat, but it is what you do with the clear after you paint it, that gives it that shiny look..... what i am saying is you would need to wet sand it down with some 1200 or 1000 grit sand paper after it has set for a few days, this is so you get all that filmy stuff off the clear, and then go ahead and wet sand it again with some 2000 grit paper. Wash it off, and buff it with some compound, 3m has this great stuff for this kind of application, i believe that is is for after you wetsand, but i am not sure of the name.....

there are many other ways of doing this, but i have found that this works the best, and it gives you the best finish.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. Any idea what kind of material the rocker panels are? They almost seem like they have a texture on em. I probably sound like a total n00b:rolleyes: , just wondering though.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
The rocker panels are metal, but they have an undercoating type thing applied to them from the factory underneath the paint. Just scuff up the paint good and don't worry about the textured coating.

Mike

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
the texture coating is made by 3m and it's over the paint and clear. It's to protect the paint on the rocker panels. It's a clear undercoating can be a 2 part system or premix depends on how good of coating you want. we used it in autobody class at school.It kinda looks like rubber cement with alot of snot in it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I just have a couple more questions. Whats the best way to paint the whole thing? Cause its a big area and I dont want it looking like crap. Also the inside of both doors around the bottom are very rusty and im not sure how i should paint that.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Ok, when you are painting, you want to keep the gun/spray can the same distance from the surface all the time. Also you want to move from one end to the other at a nice even speed. Start spraying before the panel and keep spraying till you are clear of the end of it. Then start spraying in the opposite direction making sure to overlap about half of the previous line. Also do several thin coats instead of one thick coat. For the inside of the doors, the same paint methods would apply, however you need to get rid of that rust, not just paint over it. See if you can get just the bottoms of the doors sandblasted. That would give you some clean metal to start with. Once the rust is gone on the doors, apply a few coats of primer, then once that is completely dry scuff it up with a red scotch brite pad and apply the paint.

Mike

·
Registered
811 Posts
MadMikeyL said:
Ok, when you are painting, you want to keep the gun/spray can the same distance from the surface all the time. Also you want to move from one end to the other at a nice even speed. Start spraying before the panel and keep spraying till you are clear of the end of it. Then start spraying in the opposite direction making sure to overlap about half of the previous line. Also do several thin coats instead of one thick coat. For the inside of the doors, the same paint methods would apply, however you need to get rid of that rust, not just paint over it. See if you can get just the bottoms of the doors sandblasted. That would give you some clean metal to start with. Once the rust is gone on the doors, apply a few coats of primer, then once that is completely dry scuff it up with a red scotch brite pad and apply the paint.

Mike

Mike is right, apply light even coats. Make sure you are getting a good scuff on the surface you are working on, that will help insure the pimer and paint says where you want it. If you are planning on just doing the rockers you will have to either paint the whole quarter panel or get good at blending.
Rust is not something you want to cover up, by the time it eats through your new paint you will have a hell of a mess to take care of and ended up pissing away your time and money. The correct way is to cutting out the damaged areas and welding in replacements. If you are doing this your self, good on ya. Remember, you pretty much get what you paid for on body and paint work. A $1,000 paint job is exactly what it is...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont see why i'd have to paint the quarter panel too... Heres a picture of my car, the rockers are already almost blackish, I can tell my the paint running that was never noticed I guess when it was repainted when the last owner had it...
(this was taken in august..)

Once I take some of the rust spots i'll give em a show to ya.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Make sure you do it right the first time. I made the mistake last year of goin with the discount crap and the rust is through again. This time I got actual etching primer and auto paint. Its nothing fancy just universal black below the trim.

When it comes to a good paint job, its all about the prep. When I worked in a body shop last summer I learned a monkey can shoot the paint the real skill and work goes into the prep work. When you prep the rockers use etching primer first the sand it down with fine paper and then use a scuff pad. There are primers you can buy that claim no sanding is needed, again I learned the truth the hard way.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you have a Napa store near you, and they are the same as here in Ontario, you can get them to make you up a can of Ford Black base coat and use a blend primer to finish with. Its all in the prep. Have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Any bodyshop supply store should be able to make you up a spray bomb with the exact color.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts