TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, our house is in the process of getting sided. the color changed from ugly ass tan/yellow to light blue. the previous owner also painted the shed the same scheme. i want to repaint it to match the new color. what's the easiest, cheapest, least messy way to remove all the paint, aside from hand scraping it. that would take forever. also, easiest way to repaint it without an air-compressor? i would probably wait until late fall to almost insure no bees/hornets/wasps around(i'm allergic). tia.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I assume the shed is wood? If so, Bix remover/stripper may work. Never tried it on such a big area, but it worked good on an interior door of our house. Then maybe a good powerwash to knock the loose stuff off.

Jay

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is wood, like the house was/is!!

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont thnk so. maybe i can just paint over it. it's really dirty though.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
IMHO, the best route is to side the shed with the same as the house. It usually won't add too much to the overall price if they can do it all at one time. And you end up with nice matching structures.

And you can sit back and drink a beer while someone else is doing the work. :zbeer:

Painting prep work is probably the most hated, time consuming, and irritating task a homeowner will have to do. :(

·
Registered
793 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Heat stipping would be the easiest, fastest and cleanest but still will have to hand scrape it.

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
i install siding professionally and i can tell you if it were me, i would not charge much at all to side the shed, too. likely about the same as itll cost you to strip and spray it. what kind of siding are you going with? how big is the shed? i could tell you exactly what id charge so you know if his price is good. everything wont look cohesive if you do the shed differently.

-John

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's roughly about this size. they will be done our house tomorrow, so not likely to have enough material/time.

i looked when i got home, and there are some spots peeling, so basic cleaning and repaint not possible. :(

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Have a BBQ and bring us all up to help! :tongue: It will be done in no time!

Joe

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you just clean it very well you should be able to paint over it. Remember soap moves dirt and bleach kills mold. Take it off anywhere that it is peeling of flaking. If it's got any sheen to it you'll need to scuff it up or prime it first. If you have access to a power washer it shouldn't be too bad.

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have a BBQ and bring us all up to help! :tongue: It will be done in no time!

Joe
sounds like a plan. have to set something up this fall.

·
Resident Gun Guru
672 Posts
Is this a joke thread :confused:

cause I'm roflmao after seeing the size of the shed we are talking about.

I dont mean no offense, (I think I'm turning into my dad, and thats not a bad thing :) ) but I think every man should try to be as able bodied as he can........you should know how to change a tire, maintain your yard, you know, basic things. This includes doing a little painting and other odd jobs that save us money throughout our lives because we can do them our self.

ok, I'll step down from my soap box and tell you what to do with your shed.

if you have a pressure washer, you could use it, but it will probably still leave some flaking paint and require scraping. Go buy a 3-4" scraper, remember, your not trying to remove all the paint, your lightly scraping off the loose stuff. That size shed could be scraped in an hour or 2 at the most.

when you buy that scraper at lowes, get a paint tray kit with roller, tray, handle, etc. also get a roll of blue tape and an $8 ish brush for cutting in. Not a $3 brush.

tape off and cut in the edges, top, bottom and sides, 3-6" using the brush, then roll top to bottom, approx. 4' square per dip of the roller.

You can Google more info on painting and technique.

No I'm not a Contractor, a builder, painter, or carpenter......................but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night ...............

Seriously, if you want more assistance, you can pm me and I'll be glad to help in any way I can.............

1 - 16 of 16 Posts