TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know a very high quality paint shop in the state of oklahoma within an hour or two of lawton that does Really good paint jobs. I am trying to change the color of my bird from white to red but dont want just a cheap paint job. Any one have any one they have heard of?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Anybody know a very high quality paint shop in the state of oklahoma within an hour or two of lawton that does Really good paint jobs. I am trying to change the color of my bird from white to red but dont want just a cheap paint job. Any one have any one they have heard of?

There is actually an excellent place in Lawton that I've used before. It's called Crows Paint and Body but they will take at least a month-assuming the body is ready to go and there is little prep. They took care of one of my trucks a few years back and did a great job. There is one more that I've used myself but I dont know if its still around. Ft. Sill has a full set up paint shop to do it yourself it you know how. I've painted a car there before and the booth was top notch.
And to keep going, there is a full on custom shop in Wichita Falls thats done some amazing work but I forgot the name. Hit me up once you get here and I'll be able to help you find a place more.

either way, any place you choose...make sure they do things the right way. Changing the color of a car is one thing, but to change a white car to red, would take quite a bit of work. That is unless, you dont care about a car turning pink. My bird is white, and i've toyed with the idea of making it red but decided it was not really worth all the hassle. I just went with Cocaine Pearl White with a slight touch of blue pearl clear to make it 'pop' more. It will soon get some ghost flames next month.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the heads up. I get there in another couple weeks and i will start looking into things then. I want a place that will paint the door jambs, underside of trunk lid and maybe the engine bay if i decide to do an explorer swap in the future. I never knew fort sill had there own paint booth. MIght have to see if my brother wants to try his hand at painting since he is the paint guy not me. Wouldnt trust myself.

What do you recommend prep wise for the car? Ie what to remove and also whether to sand to metal or what?

Thanks for all the help. Paint is not my thing if you can tell.

·
Registered
414 Posts
well, I do not really see a point in sanding down to the metal unless you have to. I pretty much grew up in a paint booth so I've got a lot of experience in the what to do/not to do dept.
I would sand the entire car especially any areas that are pitted, making them nice and flat. A light coat of primer just to get the idea of problem areas, and then wet sand the whole car, then prep for paint.
I've painted my bird several times now and find it necessary to remove the front, rear lights, both mirrors and the deck lid...but my car was only painted pearl white from the original color, so for the door jams and all that, all I had to do was remove any dirt/wax from those area, scotch brite the hell out it then cleaned and shot it. Anyone will paint anything, for a price. Getting into door jams and what not take more work so thats means more $$$. If your changing the color, it would be wise to remove everything possible, even glass to properly get it done. Nothing looks worse than a car that was repainted and did a half ass job doing it. Pretty much your looking at taking off everything. A lot of work but worth it to get it done right.
I will be actually painting my car (again) in two weeks so I will post up a lot of how-to pictures. I'm only doing pearl white with some sort of pearl ghost flames is what I'm shooting for at the moment.

·
Registered
414 Posts
actually...after talking with my pops...there might soon be a real shop in the SW part of the state...mine. Since there is not a real good shop in the area that can do real custom work and my dad is sick of Atlanta traffic (can't even ride his chopper anymore) we might build us a shop in or very close to lawton.

anyone got any input on this idea?

·
Registered
195 Posts
actually...after talking with my pops...there might soon be a real shop in the SW part of the state...mine. Since there is not a real good shop in the area that can do real custom work and my dad is sick of Atlanta traffic (can't even ride his chopper anymore) we might build us a shop in or very close to lawton.

anyone got any input on this idea?
If you do get a shop going and would give a fellow Thunderbird driver a good deal :D I'll bring you 3 possibly 4 cars to paint (a 35th SC, a 91 SC, and 1 maby 2 89 SHO's)

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you do get a shop going and would give a fellow Thunderbird driver a good deal :D I'll bring you 3 possibly 4 cars to paint (a 35th SC, a 91 SC, and 1 maby 2 89 SHO's)
Might have to do that to get our names out in that area. For the job we just did on my car (it's in the ext. forum) that would have run a normal person around 6 grand (including the body work the car needed) for triple stage like that. But if we get it going, might have to do a few cheaper jobs on the side to get the word out that this kinda thing is available now in the area. Does Moore or OKC have any shops like this around?

We aren't sure about doing a full on shop for business or just a car at a time-word of mouth sorta thing. Pops is looking to retire but wants to keep doing it as a side thing to keep busy. Might end up buying a house with a barn/building large enough for our needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts