TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been considering putting a two-tone paint job on my car before the summer hits, and I've been considering different variations of pretty much the same concept, black on bottom, white on top with a red pin-stripe to merge the two. My latest variation has a the bottom with a Metallic Gun-Metal Grey base coat with a dark blue pearl top coat, and gloss white on top. Or a Metallic Black base with Blue Pearl top coat (on bottom), and the same gloss white on top. Anywho, anybody got any ideas or suggestions? I'm just looking for more ideas and suggestions before I seriously lay down some $$ on paint. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
I think those colors would go good together. Personally, I would skip the red pinstripe. Where are you planning on seperating the 2 colors? At the top body line? Or maybe you could do something where it doesn't come up quite as high, but then curves up around the wheel wells and then either curves back down or stays at that height to the back and front. Maybe also spray all the moldings and accents the black/grey that you put on the bottom. I think that would look pretty cool.

Mike

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was thinking of following the body line right underneath the side windows, or run it from the bottom of the tail light to the bottom of the front turn signals. I was thinking of either A) maybe taking the paint line around the fenders, B) have it "jump" across the fenders in a straight line, or C) perhaps wrapping it around the fenders down to and along the side moulding. I was also gonna paint the moldings around the front/back windshields and the moldings that run over the roof, the same white as the top half color.

http://members.tccoa.com/falcon5783/Paintideas/idea1.jpg
http://members.tccoa.com/falcon5783/Paintideas/idea2.jpg
http://members.tccoa.com/falcon5783/Paintideas/idea3.jpg
http://members.tccoa.com/falcon5783/Paintideas/idea4.jpg
http://members.tccoa.com/falcon5783/Paintideas/idea5.jpg

Those show off my pimp microsoft paint skill :D

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, if I can figure out Paintshop a little better, I'll put up some actual images, but that could take me a bit lol, bare with me

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hey man not trying to steal you idea, but you just went public before I did...

This weekend I am going to WyoTech in PA to do mine. I only have about two days to work and four extra bodies to help. I am thinking of a really dark charcoal metallic with a blue pearl clear coat for the bottom and either a german silver or high metallic grey for the top with the same blue pearl clear coat. I don't know what the color will be until I like the mix if you know what I mean. I am going to separate the colors on the body line with a blue pin stripe. Since I have a 96 and don't have the time to fix all of the holes from the body side moldings I will be keeping them on and filling in the groove for a smooth finnish. I also will be changing the front to a 95 bumper, rear bumper is off a 93 SC. I will smooth out the molding on the rear bumper for a smooth finnish. I will also be sporting a SCP Cobra R hood. I have given this alot of thought and have settled on this type of paint set up. I will get pics up as soon as I get back next week. :D

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Just don't go with Performance white on the bottom, Sonic Blue on top, and a thin forest green seperation stripe in the middle........... that my up coming combo.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
I'd go with #4, but maybe bring it a little higher over the wheel wells.

Mike

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man I knew I should've done my paint job a year ago lol. Ray sounds like it should come out sweet, make sure to post up pics when you're done, with some good light to bring out the colors in it - You know what they say, great minds think alike. Thanks Mikey, I'll try to get a real photo edit up before the week's out if I get the editing software down a little better

·
Registered
811 Posts
Well gents I am still going up north, but not for a final paint. They are calling for white weather and you know how they like to sprinkle salt in insane amounts all over... Anyway I will just be doing the body work and putting on the hood. I don't want the salt to eat the clear coat before it is completely cured.
Today I swapped the front and rear bumpers which equals a three colored clown car :D I will end up going the import way and drive a car with black primered panels for a month. This really sucks but hey I guess if you want it done right you must take your time.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol, don't worry dude, I've still got primer on my gfx, front bumper, a fender, and rust already showing up through my hood, blech

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
How about modbird's green paint with some gunmetal paint stripes?
My bro's paint, pearl green metalic over black base:

I've wanted a Nova, and if I ever get one I want to paint it that way. Otherwise I wanna take off of "Faculty" with the black/red Nova and do a charcoal black metalic with some blood red metalic racing stripes. Red like some of the newer Mustangs. I'm sure you've seen them. Lemme look...

Like this, or in reverse:

Here it is, this color red:

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Just to give an idea of a good lower two tone type here is the 1978 corvette that has it go around the wheel wells and back down.

·
Registered
708 Posts
In my opinion, once all the hard work is done, and its time to put paint in a gun, it might as well be some crazy color. plain ol metallics just dont turn heads like those crazy colors do. there are lots of options in the "crazy color" category to pick from. few are real cheap, but real nice paint isnt free. alsacorp.com is a good place to start.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
modbird said:
In my opinion, once all the hard work is done, and its time to put paint in a gun, it might as well be some crazy color. plain ol metallics just dont turn heads like those crazy colors do. there are lots of options in the "crazy color" category to pick from. few are real cheap, but real nice paint isnt free. alsacorp.com is a good place to start.
I agree there are some colors that completely stand out but I'm not a huge fan of bright orange or neon green ;) I don't wanna regret my paint lol. Personally I think I'd like something that's gonna strike some attention, but really gotta get up close to appreciate it. Something with some flash and class to impress at a show. Personally just flat/gloss colors don't do it for me, I think metallic colors look a lot better because it adds a certain depth to the paint. Plus Pearl coats are just sweet cause they change the entire personality of the paint with different lights and angles :D

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Seen that on here before. Whose is it?

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
My car's going to paint within a month to finish off the wreck repairs. I've considered a two-tone job too, only blue on bottom, black on top, silver stripe to seperate them. I've seen them on a Mustang...looks really good in person. Here's a quick Paint job of how it could look...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Jeff: that looks like it would be a great combo. Since the two tone is really getting to be a common look around here I will go back to the drawing board.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts