TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Painted it themself?

Anyone ever paint a car in their garage? My bird has some bad peeling on the roof from a botched paint job a few years back. Was thinkin about painting it my self, but wanted to see if anyone else has done it. Thanks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
i recently did the front and back bumpers, and the side mirrors. I did it in my carport (dont have a garage).

I would recommend proper prep for the car first, i didnt prep at all, washed and sprayed. Looks pretty decent so far (especially the mirrors).

I'm thinking about prepping the whole car, and doing it since it has alot of scratches and dents on it.

Just make sure if you do it in your garage, have ventalation

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well I never did the whole car, but I agree with alasich. Prep is the key to any good paint job. You can fix the paint without repainting but if there is dirt or hair or something under it you have to get it out to make it flawless. Not a good hobby with me being a perfectionist.

·
Registered
381 Posts
ya, my bumpers and mirrors look awesome from a few feet away, and in pictures, but up close you can see holes that were in the bumper etc etc. From now on, if im going to do it, im gonna do it proper the first time!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can prep it, that's not a problem. Expensive part will be the paint as well though. I would like to stay the same metallic red, but am open to changing. Anyone have pics of their homemade paintjobs?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can prep it, that's not a problem. Expensive part will be the paint as well though. I would like to stay the same metallic red, but am open to changing. Anyone have pics of their homemade paintjobs?
If you spray metallic for your first paint job I think you will not be happy, But it is better then no paint at all. I would look into MAACO. they are cheap and you just drop it off and pick it up. Check them out.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i can post some close up photos of mine if you are interested later

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i can post some close up photos of mine if you are interested later
Sure if you dont mind.

Well, being that Red fades fast here in the Central Valley, what other colors dont fade as fast....no, I'm not going PHATBIRD Orange either. :tongue:

·
Registered
381 Posts
no problem, i'll take some when i get home. Anyway, white doesnt really fad so much, but it personally isn't my color (no offense to everyones white car, they look amazing). I also like dark blue's, like a royal blue. Dads 94 car still shines like tomorrow, but its always garaged when its at home

·
Registered
381 Posts
sorry, all picts are on my phone, which is in for repair, should get it back soon though

·
Registered
66 Posts
i work out of my garage. used to work out of my car port before i moved. i would paint some there or rent a both for some of the highend projects

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Sure if you dont mind.

Well, being that Red fades fast here in the Central Valley, what other colors dont fade as fast....no, I'm not going PHATBIRD Orange either. :tongue:

i would hope not, its a nasty color!

·
smoothed and filled red pearl 94
631 Posts
one thing to be aware of if you paint it in your garage is that chances are there will be some dirt dust hair etc that will get involved.... maybe a lot of it. if you choose a color and type of paint that is not sandable (ie: metallic or pearls) you are never going to be satisfied. you can sand and perfect the clear all day, but you will still see the dirt etc. this is not even factoring in skill with the gun. personally, i'd recommend that you prep it at home, but rent a booth to spray the final project. i went through a lot of BS with doing exactly what you say you want to do...

-John

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you do spray at home get every thing clean as posable and wet down the floor, walls, yard, next doors yard, every where!! to keep the dirt down. and use base clear, get it coverd with base nib it with 1500 put 2 more coats of base then rewet every thing. then clear coat it. i did a lot of ricer body kits in my car port this way and only had a little buffing to do when i was done. if i buffed them at all because they allready looked better then the maaco pant job on the rest of the car

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welp, looks like I wont be doing it myself. Stepdad knows a guy that will primer and paint it, all I need to do is prep it. Going to get back to me with a price. I would LIKE to change the color, but not 100% sure on it right now.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I see these threads every so often. Painting a car is not like painting a wall in your house.

You have to really know what you are doing or you will end up screwing it up. MACCO, though I despise them, are a good alternative to doing it yourself. By the time you run up the bill on all the supplies you need, you will have probley exceeded the cost they would have charged you in the first place.

If you insist on doing it yourself, find yourself a few good books on auto painting and finishing, then find a reputable painter and talk shop with him/her. Problem with that is, reading and doing are two different things.

Besides, painting a car in a garage without proper ventilation and exhaust can be EXTREMELY dangerous.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, that's why I am letting him do it. I can prep, no problem.

Anyone know where I can auto paint for a good price?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah, that's why I am letting him do it. I can prep, no problem.

Anyone know where I can auto paint for a good price?
call around the local auto paint stores in your area. You can get stuff shipped but thats normally REALLY expensive since it's hazardous material.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts