TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I painted my ibanez electric last summer and its never been right since. I did use chevy blue touch up paint and cheap primer tho lol. Anyhow, its a cheap guitar and i dont really want to spend any money on professional grade laquer, but will some regular spray paint like ruste oleum work good? The paint that is on there is somewhat sticky...if you leave it on the carpet you will see the imprint of the carpet in the paint after a while. Today im gonna sand it down but what can i use to replace it? I was thinking to use rust-oleum metallic spray paint w/ some kind of laquer clear coat...but i suck with paint and any ideas would be great thanks!

Greg

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i forgot to say that i used clear coat but it was enamel not laquer...i think that is what is sticky.

Greg

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I used to build custom guitars - 'even sold a custom 12 string electric to Stephen Stills quite a while ago.

What I'd recommend is first getting ALL the old paint off. If you use a stripper, be sure to have all the plastic parts off. If it has plastic binding that's not removable, you'll have to do hand sanding in those places.

If the wood needs filler, (like mahogany), and you decide to leave it clear, be SURE to use a darker filler than the wood - nothing looks worse than light filler in the pores, etc.

Finally, unless you have access to professional spray equipment and a booth, stay away from epoxy type finishes. They're great for durability, but a real pain to work with. And as you found, enamel is a very poor choice - I'd NEVER recommend it for guitars. Also you can NOT put laquer on top of enamel without causing the enamel to craze, though you can go the other way.

Stick with laquer. It's by far the easiest to use. Any GOOD paint store will have it, both in brush on and spray cans, or use a spray gun. If you want colors, you may have to go to an auto paint store, but again - be SURE it's laquer. It dries fast - you can usually apply a new coat every 30 minutes if done right. When you have enough coats to satisfy you, wet sand the inevitable bumps/other things out, and finish it off with a fine rubbing compound.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet thanks. Ill have to see what i can find for colors, i wanted to go with either a dark metallic blue or green...or maybe do some kind of swirling effect...i dunno yet heh.

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts