TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.. here it goes.

Bought myself a winter/workcar in october -05....
and after bathing a whole winter in salt one of the rockers
is starting to rust a bit..
No biggie.... Just grinding it down, put in some filler and
start sanding... Now to my problem...
How do I mask it and/or paint it to avoid the
"line" that's always left after removing the masking tape?

Iv'e tried and tried and tried to learn how to do it
but I never get it right and painting the rocker
on this car and stop at a normal place,
i.e. on a weld or under something, would
force me to paint half the car... [email protected] german engineering..

Could someone post a how to or a link to some site
with good instructions?

Thanks!

//per

·
Registered
708 Posts
you can do this with a completely invisible line, but it might be tough to explain.

theres a line between the rocker panel and the quarter. once sanded, mask the car off 1/4 inch from that line. now you use some wide masking tape, and fold it in half lengthwise. carefully place this piece along the line so it achieves a soft rolled edge, not a hard tape edge. another trick is to peel that tape edge when the paint is still wet so the edge softens further. hope that made sense

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Ill try to explain this the best I can, when you tape the masking paper down do it backwards. Tape it so you have to fold the paper over the tape to expose the area you want to paint. This way you wont have any lines, and it blends in nice and smooth. Hope this makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
The way modbird said works very well, but there is also another method. You can buy what is called foam tape. Basically it is a roll of round foam with glue on one side. You tape the edge off with the foam tape and the foam absorbs some of the paint right at the edge and when you peel it off, you are left without any hard edge. I find that if you do it right, the foam tape works a little better, but the difference is hardly noticable and the foam tape is pretty expensive if I remember. Certainly more expensive than a roll of regular blue masking tape. I don't know how perfect you want it to be, but just throwing that out there for you.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts