TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I move into my house this Friday and I want to paint the ceilings but they are that gay a$$ pop corn stuff, what is the best way to paint it without all the stuff coming off? I bought a wagner power painter so I hope that will do it.
Thanks in advance for the suggestion,
Chris

·
8,239 Posts
my dad is a pro painter, i asked him what to do. He says that wagner painter thing is a piece of ****, and to return it and get your money back.

He says the only thing you are going to make with that is a mess.

Get some good quality roller brushes and a ladder and roll the entire ceiling. You will need to get drop cloths and painters tape to cover what you don't want to paint.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Or you could rent a good sprayer. FWIW some of the wagners not the little hand held unit but the floor mouted pump with hose and sprayer are fine.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
we used to have those kind of ceilings in my old house, i remember my dad using a really soft roller. Becuase once your paint that stuff, it dosent chip off and make a mess anymore so good call on painting it.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Home Depot's and stuff like that sell roller brushes made for ceilings, they are a lot thicker than a regular roller you would use on a wall. You would want use a 1/2 inch nap or bigger.
Check this site out HERE

·
Registered
270 Posts
they make a thick foam roller cover with slits cut in it for popcorn. the hairs of a regular roller cover can pull some of the popcorn off.

this is at Lowe's where i work, im sure the Home Depot has it too

·
Registered
270 Posts
wagners(spraytech is the commercial sprayer) arent the greatest thing in the world....if i had a dollar for everytime one was returned id have quite a chunk of change. spraying inside a house might get kind of messy as well

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Chris-

Has the popcorn every been painted before? The first time painting that stuff is the worst. That stuff sucks up paint like crazy. I would recommend spraying it the first time. You will save yourself a lot of headache, even if you have to get somone to come in and do it for you. After it is painted once though, you can easily paint it with a deep nap roller.

John

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Oh, and to echo the comments above, that wagner thing sucks. Now I do have the Wagner Power Roller, and that thing is all that and a bag of cheetos.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I painted one of those ceilings once. The trick is to very lightly overlap the paint when using the rollers. Dont overlap too much, or it globs the paint, but if you miss overlapping, you will definitally see it. A little practice and you will get it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd highly recommend putting one if not two coats of primer on it before painting it. It really soaks up the paint. Use a very thick roller (from any home improvement store) and be gentle. Just did the whole upstairs ceilings two years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts