TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So back in November '06 the local division of the company I work for merged the same department of another division into mine. Since I now have to worry about not only people in my area, but people in another state now, I ask IT to set me up a server & domain so I can set up a website and contact e-mails that aren't specific to my area. They got the apache part up and running so I throw together a website and ftp it up. They couldn't figure out how to get the thing to receive e-mail for itself however.

Fast forward to today. We take over another division on Monday and I had given them 1 months notice that this needs to be done NOW. 2 Working days before we need to go live the Manager of Systems Engineering for IT tells me to come over to his desk. He logs me into the server with a web interface and shows me that smtp/pop/imap is checked. I look at him and it goes something like this.

Me: "Okay, we need to look at the conf files, what's the root password."
Engineer: "I'm an admin and I know mine."
Me: "Alright, fine... where's your SSH client?"
Engineer: "I don't have one."
Me: "You've never shelled into this?"
Engineer: "We don't have a dumb terminal to plug into the back of the server."
Me, downloads PuTTY and logs self into server, type in "su -" and give him the keyboard.
Engineer: "My password doesn't work, I'll have to go dig up the documentation for it."

So I go back to my desk and shell in while he's doing that and check out the /etc directory. Sure enough he set sendmails local host name to include the www. I tell him to remove that in the web interface, he does, voila! I can receive mail.

So the score is:
Paper Cert Dept (IT) works on it for 5 months... can't fix it.
Person who has no certs because he doesn't need them, but has years of experience as a Solaris Systems Engineer, 5 minutes... FIXES IT.

And people wonder why I hate IT people.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well yes, anyone who works with computers (not just using them mind you) is in Information Technology, but IT departments are usually know very little about Technology and don't have much Information. But they sure like to act like the do.

A couple years ago when I sat outside of the IT helpdesk I heard one of them get a call from a user who's desktop icons dissapeared and no matter what he saved to his desktop, they wouldn't show up. She puts him on hold and asks the other two people in there who both say it's got to be a virus and they are going to have to reimage it (read, the answer to every problem for IT). I calmly walk in there, take her mouse right click, choose arrange by and then uncheck "show desktop icons" then walk away.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
b-b-b-but this piece of paper says that I know everything I need to!

Sounds like IAIT here. Anything that isn't hardware related gets reimaged . . .
You know... Sometimes I wonder if the entirety of the A+ and MCP tests aren't just answered with either "Reboot PC" or "Reimage PC"

It's probably multiple choice with the same three answers for every question.

A) Reboot PC
B) Reimage PC
C) Hide in the switch room

·
Registered
224 Posts
Haha - I hate the paper cert pro's....all they can do is take a test...I had to get a degree, and wade through a Service Desk to get into Information Security...now I will never leave!

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, one of my co-workers has a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, they told her she couldn't be in IT because she didn't have her A+. So she took this job and is making far more than they are instead. ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Haha - there is a amazing IT saturation in the state of Utah - I had to spend almost 1 yr. 2 months - with a degree in Information Security...I'm entry level, 38k a year...makes me think school was a good thing...But in this state...paper certs mean way more than a BS degree from a college.

·
Registered
664 Posts
LOL-Gotta love it.

It's the same everywhere.

Sometime I'll finish my certs. Good to have for a review/bonus. Otherwise it's experience that has me where I am making what I am.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The only paper cert i will ever want or need - is the CISSP - god how much more i could make with that test!

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I worked in IT after college and being the only guy in IT with a Mathematics degree and having worked network support for one of the largest university netwoks in the world the IT department at my company is the same joke. . . .when I took this new position (with a $12,000/yr raise) the director of IT asked me "Why did you want to work in IT with a Mathematics degree?". I told him "Because when I took the job in IT I was under the misperception that my Math skills could be used to streamline and raise the efficiency of the IT infrastructure through things like load balancing analysis and network topology analysis." He got this wierd look on his face and then says "no, we don't need any of that stuff done in IT and that just proves that most of your abilities are wasted staying in IT." I am not sure I have ever worked for more of an idiot. :confused:

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heh, the guy from the first post came by to give me the root pw and tell me I can manage the box but if I make any major changes to let him know so he can document it in case something breaks while I'm not here.

This is funny because the whole reason IT took this over is they were pissed that I had a linux box at my desk running our mail because they weren't the ones managing it, so they do all this and ends up with me still managing the thing but on an actual server up in the server farm instead of an ancient pc under my desk. The reason I had the pc was because they didn't want to deal with it a few years back and just gave me a PC to do with as I please.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Try explaining to an IT guy about VoIP on a phone system, Voicemail to email, IP Softphone, lol... I get the strangest looks when I ask them for domain info, IP addys, etc. to make it all work. They seem to get very defensive about "their" network. But then they turn around and b***h when they can't make a phone call (using "their" network) :rolleyes:

I have no IT degrees, only some certs from Avaya for the phone side of things and even I can usually figure out what the issue is. Half the time it's their firewall. Sometimes I wish VoIP was never invented, lol... What's so bad about a T1 or copper trunks? People don't realize that VoIP calls are only as good as the network they ride on.

I'll end my rant there :D

Jay

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, we use Avaya IP phones and all the LEA faxes come to me via IPFax.

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
you guys are funny.

this is why i maintian the server farm, ip network, telco network, vpn networks, cabling, and all software dev and implentation.

Shadow: you it admin is a nitwit, I can see where he was coming from, but then, I can see where he screwed up. His correct response should of been to give you a server on the farm, and then just kindly asked you to keep it well documented and him informed off changes so incase he or someone on his staff needs to make a change when your not available. my boss (CIO) will admit to not knowing how to do something, and will call me in to handle it. And if I don't know how to do it, I will pick up my phone and call someone who does..

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the person who flipped out (IT Helpdesk Mgr) and the person who did the server (Mgr Sys Engineering) are two different people. It actually was documented, they unfortunately had laid off all but three people who had the documentation. Myself, my boss and.... The Director of IT (who at the time the box was handed to me by IT was my Mgr). Had I known that the Director didn't disseminate the documentation to the new people in IT after the old ones left I would have given it to them.

But here's how it went down. My co-worker got laid off in early October. I was scheduled for vacation the last week of October. HR got two people hired the week before I was to leave so I could train them. IT on the other hand waited until the middle of the week I was gone to get around to giving them PC's in our offices (they were floor reps so they could do at least part of the job out there). When the HD Mgr came in to set up their PC's, and expand our personal network across mutliple offices they noticed the old computer in my office and freaked out. I calmly tell him how to change the IP under linux and the root password and how to start the mailserver. I find out when I get back that he was bad mouthing me to my new coworkers for having that box and not telling him about it. I called him and let him know that if he wanted the docs I'd give them to him, that I had figured his director had given them to him considering that's his job and not mine. He said he was given the docs after he got back to IT and started badmouthing me and the director overheard and gave him the docs.

·
Jack of all trades, Master of none
600 Posts
Hah, I have a ton of certs, and yes most of the question are cheesey. But hey, my company paid for them so I'm not complaining.
That's one of many reasons I took my current job. I now teach my companies service engineers how to fix stuff. And most of the time, the only reason we reboot is because we have made config changes. I always hated that "IT" response, "HAve you tried rebooting?"

I also really like Unix too, that's a good skill to have there. As you've proved just now, most people know sh!t about Unix.

For what it's worth, I currently teach Unix OS, Win XP administration, Win Server 2k and 2K3, Active Directory, Basic Medical Networking, Net+, and a handful of med classes. I mention this because I'm proud to say that I DO NOT teach my service guys those stupid "IT" canned responses, did you reboot? and we need to reimage it!
Those IT solutions really show a lack of education and training.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Rebooting is only a temp-fix for what may be wrong with a machine. I'm an IT guy at a Trucking company with three locations, not computer savvy people, and at times its a pain to troubleshoot things over the phone. When I'm offsite, and someone has computer issues, and Its something I haven't seen before, I have them log out and back in, which almost always temporarilly fixes the issue until I am onsite again.

Its all about time management. 5 miuntes for them to log out and back in, or an hour and a half for me to drive to the other building to solve the problem.

I've gotta agree that there are plenty of morons out there -- If your network has a virus, what the bloddy **** have you been doing? Get an antivirus, and tighten your network security.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts