TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been thinking about doing a manual swap, I have a clutch pedal assembly with slave, and I just ordered a manual brake pedal assembly. This got me thinking about the parking brake, and I know a lot of guys put a manual console in with the center mount brake, but those are getting rare, and I don't want to sacrifice my cup holders even though they're only partially functional.

So I was thinking... Back in the day my sister had a 1986 Fiero, which had a driver side door sill mounted parking brake that would engage by pulling up, and then lay down flat once applied, so you could exit the vehicle, but not release until you pushed the button.

I wonder how difficult that would be to rig up, and mount it beside the seat. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
17,150 Posts
Theoretically it could work, the foot operated cable runs the length of the car on the driver side so if you could find a shorter cable with the right connections, drill a hole and run it through to get to the lever out of something, and mount that to the floor, it would operate as intended... I don't however think there's enough space between the door and seat co comfortably operate it.

FWIW there's nothing wrong with a foot operated parking brake in a manual transmission car, cars used to be that way for decades upon decades.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theoretically it could work, the foot operated cable runs the length of the car on the driver side so if you could find a shorter cable with the right connections, drill a hole and run it through to get to the lever out of something, and mount that to the floor, it would operate as intended... I don't however think there's enough space between the door and seat co comfortably operate it.

FWIW there's nothing wrong with a foot operated parking brake in a manual transmission car, cars used to be that way for decades upon decades.
I was wondering about the space requirements too, but really just thought it'd be a neat mod if someone were going all out. I wouldn't have issue with the parking brake, it's WAY out of the way, and it would be kinda cool to have four pedals.

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
On most of my 5-speed swaps, I have left the foot operated parking brake, and it has never been an issue. Having been in a number of Fiero's, there definitely wouldn't be enough room between the seat and the door panel. If anything, I think an electric parking brake would be neat, just press a button to engage or disengage it.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts

I have four pedals in my tbird.

I've occasionally thought about removing the lock/ratchet mechanism so you could kick down on that pedal and temporarily lock up the rear tires -- dorrriiffftoooo racecar!

Then the voice of reason pops up and I decide that the ebrake is somewhat useful when the car is in my garage (slightly at an angle) even if there's a chance one of my numbnuts co-drivers will set the ebrake on hot rotors and lock up our rears at the race track after a long stint.

-g

1 - 6 of 6 Posts