TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting ready to order the parts I am going to need to swap the PI motor into the Tbird and I want to make sure I don't forget anything.For some of you that have done the swap and ran into any small things that may be needed,let me know.Here is the list:
Oil pan gasket
Exhaust manifold gaskets
Oil filter adapter gasket
Timing cover gaskets (3pc)
Water pump o-ring(npi motor has a brand new water pump)
Intake manifold gaskets
Front timing cover seal(if needed since I have to pull the balancer)
Spark plugs(PI motor has platinum,I am going to put new Motorcraft coppers,wires are new)
Valve cover gaskets
PCV valve and grommet(my grommet is hard and brittle)
Thermostat and o-ring
Lower radiator hose(upper just replaced)
Heater hoses at back of motor
5 qt Mobil 1 5W20 oil and FL820 oil filter
Coolant
5/8" heater hose to connect end of Tbird heater tube to PI heater tube
Hose clamps
Upper plenum gasket

I have already drilled and tapped the intake for the second temp sensor.The rear main seal on the PI motor is perfectly dry so I am not touching it.If you can think of something I forgot let me know.I realize that some of the gaskets can be reused but I would rather be safe than sorry.I get stuff at Ford for 10% over cost so that should help me alot with these parts.I figure I got a good enough deal on the motor to warrant me spending a little bit more to make sure everything is perfect.Are the motor mounts known for going bad on these cars?I may put new ones in if they are.Mine seem fine at this time.Just for the record,I am keeping the stock exhaust manifolds and torque converter so no need to mention that this would be the time to swap to headers and a Marauder converter.I have a feeling I will need to go through the tranny down the road and I may do the converter(and check the rear main seal again) then.I have no plans on ever swapping to headers.Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
I just did this swap a few months ago for a friend. We replaced the motor mounts with poly ones from MN12 performance. In my opinion, it's a no-brainer when the motor is out. We ended up trashing the passenger side mount anyway. We also installed a Marauder converter and flexplate, replaced all the hoses, replaced the front sway bar bushings, the steering shaft rag joint, did the rear cylinder head cooling mod, new oil pan gasket (get some black RTV), new starter and everything else you listed above.

What PI motor are you swapping? You're aware of the need to switch front covers I'm assuming since you're getting new gaskets. Also, swapping the pickup tube is necessary. We also replaced his crankshaft position sensor and that wiring harness, oil pressure sending unit and found one of the wires to the starter was rubbing and exposed. He had been chasing down an intermittent battery light before that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I am going to order the MN12 Performance motor mounts.I also want to put poly sway bar bushings but didn't see them on the site.They only show the whole front kit with all of the bushings.I guess it would be smart to just replace them and be done with it.I can see that the swaybar bushings are going to be much easier with the motor out.I already replaced the endlinks on the front so that should finish off the front sway bar.I guess the mounts are the same from left to right,you just have to trim the stud on the passenger side?I think I will do the pinion brace and bushings down the road,looks like a good upgrade.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts