TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes I searched... Nothing is complete and a lot is conflicting, so I need to clarify.

My 94 engine finally screwed the pooch yesterday. I need to replace it. Overheated and tossed a head gasket at a minimum. Pulled the valve covers off and as bas as the cams and stuff look on the top end it needs to be replaced.

SO I need:

The front cover off my 94
Manifolds or headers
The oil pan and filter adapter
oil pump pickup
Injectors / o-rings
motor mounts
fuel rails from 96-97
fuel lines from 96-97
throttle cable from 96-97
IAC Harness Wiring
Cruise Control cable

Can someone tell me what gaskets I need or is that something Dan would have a list for if I call him?

Thanks for any help guys I need to get a motor asap and all the parts for it so I can have my car back

-mj

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
u need 96-97 fuel lines i am not sure how the egr and egr tube goes but you might need thouse too from 96-97 mn12's and a iAC conector thats been kind of hard for people to find i found mine easy but they told me i had to buy the whole harness just for that when i was calling around .

Jurgen

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Added all those to the list. Thank you both. I'd really love if someone knew for sure what gaskets I am going to need before I call Dan, otherwise I am sure he will have a good idea of what i need

Thanks again

-mj

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
3U7Z-6051-AA GSKT $57.19 head gasket
3U7Z-6051-BA GSKT $56.90 head gasket

thats what i used this were the latest like 6 months ago, i belive you was talking about heads gaskets right?
is you are talking about vaklve covers onesa and front cover i got all thouse i dont know y i am giveing u the heads gasket numbers you dont need em now that i am thinking

Jurgen

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its ok... I'll take long day as an excuse. :) Numbers look impressive so that counts :)

I believe it would be the front cover gasket/s at least since that needs to be swapped for the 94 one. Some people say it is one and others refer to several gaskets needed for the explorer motor.

I would think probably bellhousing goodies too. Would that be the other gasket people talk about? T-Stat gasket... headers... hmmm...

This isn't my thing. Farthest I have been in my motor is the valve covers which is where I stopped yesterday after it pissed me off :)

-mj

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
I ordered the following:

1 - Valve Cover Gasket F6AZ-6584-AA $14.76
1 - Valve Cover Gasket F6AZ-6584-BA $14.76
1 - Exhaust Manifold Gasket XW7Z-9448-AA $22.71
1 - Exhaust Manifold Gasket XW7Z-9448-BA $33.66
2 - Intake Manifold Gasket YL3Z-9439-BA $8.66
1 - Oil Pan Gasket F4AZ-6710-A $25.09
1 - Oil Filter Adapter Gasket F6AZ-6840-BA $5.78
1 - *Front Seal for Front Cover F5AZ-6700-A $6.08
1 - **Front Cover Gasket F1AZ-6020-A $3.60
1 - **Front Cover Gasket F1AZ-6020-C $3.60

* - Didnt use since I was unsure of how to properly install it.
** - Those #'s are for an 02 Explorer front cover, order for a 94-95 instead. There are 3 gaskets for the front cover (left, right, and center) and the gaskets go into the cover (I didnt know that until I had the cover in my hand was in the middle of the swap) The two side gaskets worked, but the center gasket did not line up, so I just reused the original 95 gasket in the center.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
A couple corrections

1. You do not need a new cruise control cable you will modify (cut 1/4" off yours)
2. No new harness needed as long as the explorer motor comes with it's harness you can make whatever you need with some extra wire, solder, and heatshrink tubing
3. You will use the explorer EGR

·
Registered
926 Posts
yes, thats right no 96-97 cruis cable. A new harness would be a big waist of money since the original off you engine works perfectly. You have to lengthen the wires on the tps sensor, and you might need to get some vacumme lines to lengthen. Also the IAC sensor wires need to be lengthend , good luck Call me if you have any questions 585-338-1043

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I didn't seperate my list real well. I was planning on using my old harness, but if I can get one with the 02 motor and it will work, all the better. The cruise cable was the only thing, as some had said it catches on somethnig, but if shortening is all that is needed thats cool...

What about the alternator bracket? Is that something I should order from Dan as well or is that a simple fix?

-mj

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I thought it was a pretty simple fix or as DrFrankencougie has stated it can be left off

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If nothing else I can "make" something for it too :)

Thanks agin.

Now I just have to get someone somewhere to admit to having a 02 Explorer engine for less than $1800

-mj

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
You can try the guy I bought mine from at greenleaf
800-343-6122 X220 His name is Steve

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Correct....the explorer fuel lines are non return. That said you still save a bit because you don't need to buy the 96 EGR etc like you would if you installed a Mustang motor. If you have a 96-97 you would need to install a 94 front cover on the explorer motor. All in all it isn't a lot of expense especially since the explorer motors can usually be bought cheaper

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. I see you said if you have a 96-97 you have to install the 94 front cover. Does that mean this is something I don't havve to do or were you referring to the fact that you would have to buy one seperate for a 96-97 because the old motor wouldn't have it?

-mj

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
If you had a 96-97 you would have to buy a 94 front cover because you wouldn't have one. You are good to go

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah I see...

Did anyone that has done this ever start on a tech article for this? If not hopefully in the next few days I can get all this information together in a easy to read format to get a start on a tech article

-mj

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I don't think so. Cam94 and I as far as I know were the first to do the explorer swap on a 94 and I know neither of us have

·
Registered
529 Posts
What's the reason for needing the 94 Front Cover?

MJ, the top alternator bracket will be the same piece I posted over at UMTC. But you don't need it, I ran without it for a year, 3 months of which were with the new setup and SC.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts