TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What parts exactly are needed for a head gasket replacement on a '91 SC
I'm looking to buy one that just needs some new head gaskets.

Obviously the head gaskets, but anything else?

·
Registered
647 Posts
as for parts? well most of the time you cant really tell until you get inside of there. IF I were you, I would replace the lifters atleast. But also make sure to get the heads pressure checked for cracks in them. Also I would rebuild the heads completely, and have the valve stem seals replaced too. It cost me a total of around $250 for my headwork complete and everthing. But most of the time, you cant really tell till you get inside. Good luck on this, as it is a fun and learning project :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would look at getting a complete head set. This kit will include all the gaskets that you need to do the top end. I would also look at getting a new set of head bolts, as these should be replaced any time the heads come off. If you are looking at adding some significant horsepower, I would invest in some ARP bolts, but the stockers will work just fine if the engine is going to remain stock.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I thought the only difference in the bolts is the stock ones are only usable once as they stretch one they are torqued and the arp or whatever brand are reusuable. I may be wrong on this though.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
This might be overkill, but I'd say do the oil pump, too, if you think you ended up with a lot of coolant in the oil pan. Not only do you have a lot of average lifetime wear on the oil pump, but you've now circulated coolant through the pump and motor, and probably also taken a lot of life off of the main and cam bearings. So it seems like a good idea to maximize the capability of your oiling system.

·
5,650 Posts
thewishkah said:
I thought the only difference in the bolts is the stock ones are only usable once as they stretch one they are torqued and the arp or whatever brand are reusuable. I may be wrong on this though.
All stock replacement bolts strech as far as I know. The difference with the ARP ones though is not just that they are reusable. They provide strong and steady force on the head and can take massive amounts of abuse, and it's really important to have good head bolts when making lots of horsepower.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Also possibly a water pump/radiator replacement. One of those could've caused the HG to blow (I know, its the poor design) but while you're down there, you might look into replacing the waterpump.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah well, nevermind, someone scooped up the car before I could get ahold of the owner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts