TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to FFW in Bristol today and at the swap meet there was a guy selling a low-mile bare 03 Explorer block with a set of heads off the same engine sans camshafts... The dude wanted $250 for everything, i had the money in hand but i had to pass it over because i am banking a downpayment for a newer car so i can park and rebuild the T-bird to my liking. Im thinking i should have gone ahead and bought the crap but then again i drove my bird there so i would have probably had some space issues with the block in the trunk... lol.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
space issues? tie that ***** shut! That was a good deal but who knows what you may find when your ready to build your bird.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
$250.00 for an Explorer block and heads?Could have bolted it back together and sold it for more.

Shame on you.

·
Super Moderator
12,236 Posts
The Buyer Beware adage "If it sounds to good to be true... It probably is" comes to mind.

There may have been more problems with that engine than just missing cams.

There will always be another engine.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The Buyer Beware adage "If it sounds to good to be true... It probably is" comes to mind.

+1

going off personal experience of a week ago here, ive been looking around for a new motor for my 88 RX7 GXL since its cheaper usually to buy a newer used motor than it is to rebuild the one i have already, so im looking on craigslist when i see one come up for $200 and only about 60 miles away from me, so i exchange a few emails with the guy and we agreed on a time to meet at his house.

well, first sign of misconception here was that the motor was sitting sideways on the floor and in the picture he had on craigs list he had it upright, braced and strapped to a wooden pallet.

second sign, everything thing the guy told me he had with the motor wasnt there,, no exhaust manifold, no throttle body, no accessory brackets, nothing..

third sign, he told me that the reason he'd taken it out of the car in the first place was to replace the rear coolant seal, which is the same reason i need to rebuild (or re-seal if you like) the motor i already have.. so i told the guy to **** off and drove home angered that id wasted a tank of gas to go and see such bull****.

im agreeing with trunk on this one, "if it sounds too good to be true.. it more than likely, is.."

just keep that in mind and get a real good look at whatever you buy like that especially for that seemingly good of a price..
just my $.02 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Not necessarily always too good to be true. I have gotten several great deals; you just have to search around, and beware of the seller and their reputation.

I bought my explorer engine off the forums for $550 about 3-4 years ago and it came with new HGs and ARP head studs. The shortblock was low mileage, and the guy had started to port out one of the heads. All I had to do was get a used head and put the top end together. It runs great.

Just last week I bought a 2 week old MGW shifter for a t45 for $100. New they are like $180, and used on the corral they go for $150 or more.

My biggest problem with finding deals is having the money at the right place and time.

That being said, I think you should have taken the deal today:D

-Rob

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I got my explorer block out of OH for $180 shipped. This was before everyone was looking for them.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

theres always better deals i just got my 200$ 01 pi motor running it only had 77k on it. With gas prices so higher v8 motors are selling for alot cheaper

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am glad today that i did not go for it. I would have just ended up collecting more parts for a build that financially may or may not happen. If i already had a rotating assembly in hand and i happened upon that lot of goodies i would have done it but since i dont have the most expensive part of the build a backed off it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts