TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 xr7 v6 58,000 miles

"check engine" lite came on, running very rough, no power.

Limped car over to a mechanic, who scanned the computer, and came up with multiple cylinder miss firing. Cylinders two and three were not firing. He replaced all the plugs and wires, w/ motorcraft parts, and one cylinder came alive. still the "engine check" lite was on. he replaced the coil pack, and the problem disappeared. he also replaced the pcv valve and the fuel filter.

total charge was $473, including labor and all parts.

fair price for the repair?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
thats probably not to bad for having someone else doing the work. most places seem to get about $50 an hour for labour, and a mark-up on the parts also.

·
Registered
303 Posts
FordFanatic said:
most places seem to get about $50 an hour for labour...

That's cheap, we are in the $70 per hour range out here. Don't remember the last time I saw anything under $65.

·
Registered
348 Posts
oh ... i see ... its a case of he who has the tools, makes the money .... old obd-i was user serviceable ....obd-ii requires a scanner ... just a way to get more money out of the consumer ...

·
Registered
676 Posts
75-100$ and hour down here in FL

·
Registered
303 Posts
thumphed said:
oh ... i see ... its a case of he who has the tools, makes the money .... old obd-i was user serviceable ....obd-ii requires a scanner ... just a way to get more money out of the consumer ...
That's why I bought my own scanner. I've fixed many a check engine light problem with it, and not just my own vehicles. The only thing a dealers service department gets from me is questions if I'm stumped. Not even that so much anymore cuz I have all of you! :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
HA HA!! There's a guy lives a couple miles from me, has a shop, big business, etc. Charges like $25/hr and he is sooo much better than the dealership. He's very awfully busy too though

Joe

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey Whitecoug, is Battles BBQ still open? It's just off Lincoln Way and Hayward or maybe a block east.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'm not really sure if that's there or not...I drive by that area all the time, but never really noticed one...I've have to go out this afternoon and take a look

Joe

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Lets see....
Scan $75
Plugs $15
Wires $125
plug+wires labor $75
Scan $75
Coil pack $100
coil pack labor $75 (most shops have 1hr. minimum)

This comes to $540. So considering you piad someone, it's a decent price. However, if you had bought a scan tool, and shopped around abit, you could have done this yourself for ~$200.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
flewthecoupe said:
Hey Whitecoug, is Battles BBQ still open? It's just off Lincoln Way and Hayward or maybe a block east.
Yup, drove by today and it's there. Open as well, saw some people walking in. I didn't even know that was there...

Joe

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
So let's see. You could have gotten the codes scanned at autozone for free. The tune-up you could have done yourself for free. Parts probably would have totaled around $100.

I think you got ripped off big time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think that was a fair price. In LA the going rate is 100+ per hour. Hoping that you leave your trust in a techician. I have not had to do that yet pray to the ford god.:bowdown:

·
Registered
303 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by flewthecoupe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, drove by today and it's there. Open as well, saw some people walking in. I didn't even know that was there...

Joe
Probably been 10-12 years since I've been in there. Good BBQ and awesome home made lemonade. Wonder if it's still the same.....

Okay, no more hijacking, back to the cost of repairs

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
drivex said:
So let's see. You could have gotten the codes scanned at autozone for free. The tune-up you could have done yourself for free. Parts probably would have totaled around $100.

I think you got ripped off big time.
well, plug wires and coil packs list for $110 each. I agree he spent too much (for labor and code reads), but he didn't get "ripped off".

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
well its just the price you have to pay if your going to have someone else working on your car. for me i think that would be motivation to learn how to do the repairs myself. if you cant diagnos the problem yourself come on here, or have the dealer do it then do the repair yourself. oh and you guys out there in LA, OMFG your getting rapped on labor!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
my shops labor rate is 89 an hour and sometimes depending on whats wrong and you have them fix it they wave the 1 hour diag time. and yea i had the same stupid issue with my parents crown vic, i took it to auto zone had them scan, i replaced plugs and wires myself , check engine still there, ok fine, it had a bad coil, but i towed it to work and just paid them to fix, still cost me 140 at my cost with the coil and labor. plus the money i paid for the plugs and wires

1 - 18 of 18 Posts