TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a friendly reminder to all you paypal fanatics. Paypal is closely watching all transactions with members using the "Gift" option. I just got a warning with the next being a permanent suspension of my paypal account. I received this page long email that they are cracking down on the "Gift" option abuse from many forum goers. So just a heads up.

Thank you,

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
You troublemaker, you ... Ruining it for the rest of us. :mad:

:tongue:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Good thing you told everyone before they used it to pay you. lol

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
I could send Cheetos instead :tongue: ... Interested?

:gapteeth:

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Well I always write a message in the box saying happy birthday or something like that. I dont see other members giving me cover so yeah please give a cover story people.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
That's one reason why I'll kick a bit extra in on a Paypal transaction if the other party requests "Gift".

Besides, if it's a gift, you have NO protection with Paypal. If it's a service or a product, then you have ... some, but not much, it may turn out.

RwP

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just used that option an hour ago before I saw this. What option would be best and what fees will apply to the sender and/or receiver?

·
3,868 Posts
I just used that option an hour ago before I saw this. What option would be best and what fees will apply to the sender and/or receiver?
Ha gift is the best. No fees... if you use the pay option its 3.5% of the money you send gets skimmed off the top by pp.

My suggestion is that if its over $300 send it piece meal as a gift. I think Oxman must have used a 2k gift option on pp, thats bound to get you on the radar.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ha gift is the best. No fees... if you use the pay option its 3.5% of the money you send gets skimmed off the top by pp.

My suggestion is that if its over $300 send it piece meal as a gift. I think Oxman must have used a 2k gift option on pp, thats bound to get you on the radar.
Oh okay mine was minor under $50 and I paid the fee to send it. What if I sent it as goods? I didn't see anything about a fee for that option.

·
3,868 Posts
Oh okay mine was minor under $50 and I paid the fee to send it. What if I sent it as goods? I didn't see anything about a fee for that option.
Yeah goods get the fee, basically you pay pp fees for the level of buyer protection they offer.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I figured that would catch up to someone eventually. Life without Paypal sucks...

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

Now, I just got off the PP website and the rate was 2.9% and they sometimes add another 30 cents for whatever reason. I don't like the gift option because you have no recourse if something goes wrong. When someone wants me to do the "gift" option to save the fees, I just throw in an extra $5 for every $100 (even though max fee would be $2.90 + $0.30 = $3.20). It's well worth it rather than take the risk of getting ripped off.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I always write a message in the box saying happy birthday or something like that. I dont see other members giving me cover so yeah please give a cover story people.
When you set up a PayPal account you have to enter your tax ID or SSN. So PayPal basically knows everyone's birthday. So if someone randomly gets a birthday gift of $100 cash when there birthday is months away, there's going to be a red flag. I'm sure you can get away with it if there a gift option couple times a month, but I did a good 100+ or so gift options this past summer into fall.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
When you set up a PayPal account you have to enter your tax ID or SSN. So PayPal basically knows everyone's birthday. So if someone randomly gets a birthday gift of $100 cash when there birthday is months away, there's going to be a red flag. I'm sure you can get away with it if there a gift option couple times a month, but I did a good 100+ or so gift options this past summer into fall.
I think you're putting WAY too much thought into this. Social security numbers don't exactly dictate birthdates and even if the SSA knows your birthdate, I find it hard to believe PP has easy access to that info, and much less gives a poop.

However, someone having dozens of transactions as "gifts" and Paypal making very little to no money from members WOULD raise a red flag. I'm just sayin'.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts