TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm going to have to break down and setup a PayPal account. As much as I HATE electonic banking, it feels like it's becoming a necessary evil. I'm just wanting this for things like when I want to buy something here, sell something here, occasional eBay purchases (once I setup an account), etc.

Anyone wanna give someone some pointers to setup an account?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
What's wrong with internet banking?
I've used it for almost 10 yrs now and never had a problem...
It's not unsafe to use and much easier than standing in a
que waiting.. I actally don't get any paper bills anymore..
Everything is handled electronically.. I can eve do my banking trhu my cellular.

just go to http://www.paypal.com and click on the Sign Up link up to
the right.. Then it's just to follow the instructions.. Pretty straight forward..

They'll withdraw 1.95 from your CC but will give it back on your first buy..
It's just so they know you are you.. A security measure..

if you get a mail starting with Dear pay pal user DELETE IT!
Paypal always addresses you by your name and NEVER asks
you to submit your login or info unless you've logged in first and
if the address bar in Internet Exploror doesn't say https://www.paypal.com
it isn't paypal..

//Per

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I guess I'm just still untrusting of electronic money. What would you guys suggest for an account? Personal or Premeir?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Start with personal... If you need to accept CC payments that's
when you upgrade.. Doesn't cost anything to upgrade but they charge
2% or something of the recieved amount after the upgrade..

The problem with electronic money is that since you never see them
it has no value.. You start to think.. Oh it's just 20 bucks...
One month later it's "Oh it's just 200 bucks" and so on.. :D

//Per

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Same views here. I have used it for years and never had a problem with Paypal, except that it makes my bank account get smaller from all the purchases that I think "I can just use Paypal". But it has helped me in the past when I had to sell things or buy things fast. Overall it's great. Just don't answer those spam emails.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Thyg0d said:
They'll withdraw 1.95 from your CC but will give it back on your first buy..
It's just so they know you are you.. A security measure..
Unless you link it to your savings or checking account. Then they deposit $1.00 :) Also, there's no fees in your transactions are no credit card based. If your sending funds via your checking or savings account, it's completely free. Just don't actually leave money in the paypal account. I've heard bad stories of people leaving funds in their paypal account, and then they get wiped, and couldn't get the money back. Just always have it withdraw the money from your checking/savings.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
if you get a mail starting with Dear pay pal user DELETE IT!
Paypal always addresses you by your name and NEVER asks
you to submit your login or info unless you've logged in first and
if the address bar in Internet Exploror doesn't say https://www.paypal.com
it isn't paypal..
same thing goes for ebay, i've been getting quite a few bogus emails lately so i send everyone i get to the spoof link. better safe then sorry....

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know about the emails. I get them from eBay AND PayPal . . . and I don't even use them.

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
My friends "PayPal" account is "Frozen" for the following reason:

He purchased an item on ebay, the seller, never delivered, the seller refunded him the money, and then he purchased the same item using the money refunded to him.

eBay claims he purhased an item with "Fraudulant" money, and now want the money from him...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
Thanks for the info! I guess I'm just still untrusting of electronic money. What would you guys suggest for an account? Personal or Premeir?
Not to really discuss your question about the account, but rather your distrust of electonic money.

Which do would you consider more "secure":

Electronic banking where no person ever touches your money and/or account information, and you have detailed records of every transaction saved in multiple databases that are backed up on a daily basis. :D

or

Giving your credit card to a complete stranger, 17 year old waiter/waitress, making minimum wage, that might be on drugs (i.e. needs money badly), who walks out of your sight with your credit card in hand, to the cash register to “ring you up”. :beek:

IMHO, I'll bank online. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts