TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted this here for exposure

if you guys were to walk into say, a net cafe of sorts, and had the option to play games against other players on a top end machine, be it multiplayer online, or a bad @$$ LAN game, which games would you want to play?

we are trying to get a list together to load on the server, and so far this is what we have come up with:

Americas Army

Battlefield 2 (maybe original and vietnam as well)

Quake 3 maybe 4

UT 2004

CounterStrike

maybe RTCWolfenstein

Enemy territory (cuz it funny)

Call of Duty (maybe 2 as well)

Halo

gimme your suggestions and what you would be willing to pay for something like this. most of these places charge from $7-$15 per hour in 1/2 hr increments for pc usage... she's prolly gonna go flat rate for a lotta stuff, like rounds, lan parties etc..

the server ain't no joke for those interested... it will be a poweredge backed by 4 Opteron 2.4GHz CPUs, each CPU will have 4GB of RAM :) (yes, 16GB of ram, $8k of ram.. ridiculous), 4 72GB drives in RAID 10 (thats a striped set, mirrored to a second set for slight performance gain and redundancy). couple other fancy things to end the price around $17K

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Ever think about using Workstation blades and using thin Clients on the front end?

with HP's RGC you have more control and less risk at the terminal side. It is a little more costly to initially sey up but a TON easy to control and manage.

Can handle most games (G card is a FX540) abd has the power with the Duel Opteron.

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/437070-0-0-0-121.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I have seen alot of internet Cafe's go this route to help mitigate loss on the terminal side.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
I like Company of Heros

·
Registered
601 Posts
Damn I only pay $5 a hour to play at my local LAN shop

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thunderterd said:
Ever think about using Workstation blades and using thin Clients on the front end?

with HP's RGC you have more control and less risk at the terminal side. It is a little more costly to initially sey up but a TON easy to control and manage.

Can handle most games (G card is a FX540) abd has the power with the Duel Opteron.

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/437070-0-0-0-121.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I have seen alot of internet Cafe's go this route to help mitigate loss on the terminal side.

we were thinking of going HP as well... using "dummy" workstations, etc

with the above option, we were gonna get 20 gaming PCs setup from dell and get em all under "business lease" so it will facilitate an easy upgrade in a few years

if you have more info on the workstation clients for user access, drop me a line

1 - 5 of 5 Posts