TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im still having issues with my 97 as I have a cel lite on for code P0743 and have done everything to try to get rid of it. Replaced the TCC, changed the fluid, J mod and still the cel pops up from time to time. Question is can I take it somewhere and have them flash the pcm to get rid of the fuction that is throwing this code?
Car still runs great but I do get a little shake in gear at a light. Car has 80K on it.
If it is possable to flash what would that cost?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
It could be done, but you'd lose lock up. It'd make the car feel more sluggish in 3rd and 4th gear. You'll also lose some acceleration. I wouldn't do it if it were my car. To put it short, bite the bullet and get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
It could be done, but you'd lose lock up. It'd make the car feel more sluggish in 3rd and 4th gear. You'll also lose some acceleration. I wouldn't do it if it were my car. To put it short, bite the bullet and get it fixed.
He would also lose fuel economy and waste gas.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I would try replacing the PCM with a used one first. A lot cheaper than a re-flash!

Heck, I've got a PCM in my car right now that was given to me.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Really ???? I knew you would lose fuel economy, but it wastes gas also ?? :tongue:
Well those are two separate things....

If he did some sort of a modification which gave him more power while decreasing fuel mileage, that would be losing fuel economy without wasting gas. That gas would be well spent! :tongue:

In this case though there is no benefit to the loss of economy, he loses fuel economy AND wastes gas. ;)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Well those are two separate things....

If he did some sort of a modification which gave him more power while decreasing fuel mileage, that would be losing fuel economy without wasting gas. That gas would be well spent! :tongue:

In this case though there is no benefit to the loss of economy, he loses fuel economy AND wastes gas. ;)
You have no idea what youre talking about.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
What a cordial and respectful comment... :)
.. youre so full of useful information. :rolleyes:

Im still having issues with my 97 as I have a cel lite on for code P0743 and have done everything to try to get rid of it. Replaced the TCC, changed the fluid, J mod and still the cel pops up from time to time. Question is can I take it somewhere and have them flash the pcm to get rid of the fuction that is throwing this code?
Car still runs great but I do get a little shake in gear at a light. Car has 80K on it.
If it is possable to flash what would that cost?
Swapping the PCM might solve the problem if you have already replaced the TCC solenoid. The PCM detects a voltage change with the TCC solenoid commanded on. It has something to do with the electrical circuit, if the solenoid was bad, the wiring harness inside the transmission, wiring harness to the PCM, or the PCM itself.

You would need to check for 12+ Battery volts ( Key on / engine Off ) at the TCC solenoid connector inside the transmission, and then check continuity on the other wire to the PCM - betwen the TCC connector and the PCM harness connector. If those are all okay, its the PCM itself. If you dont have 12 volts, you'll need to trace it back through the harness and if the other wire doesnt have continuity or has a short to ground, you'll need to find those to fix the problem.

As mentioned above, the Torque converter lockup feature is a good thing to have for driveability, transmission heat generation and fuel economy, so I would try to fix it rather than tune it out but it can be done both ways of course.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts