TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my 1997 3.8 needs a PCM. I get a cam position sensor code even after replacing the sensor. Another 97 I had did the same thing. PCM was the issue. Mine is #F6SZ12A650AF. I found on F6SF code on EBay. Will it work? What's the difference? I remember seeing on here someone could flash the units for stock or improved performance. Can this be done? Who was it? I am in 37412. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
You want to match the 'catch code' that is on the PCM. It is a 4 digit alpha-numeric like shown in the pic below. Otherwise, one with the same configuration (3.8NA/4R70W/EEC-V/OBDII) should work but it may have a slightly different tune. I have the RCX4 unit that is shown if you think it will work for you (from a 96/97 3.8L Thunderbird/Cougar). Dave Dalke over at Super Coupes Unlimited sells and does mail-order tunes for the SCT chips.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Easy to check, open the hood and the code is on the passenger fender.

Al

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That is easier than pulling the PCM out. Any idea where it it on the fender? I don't remember seeing anything.

·
Administrator
8,208 Posts
If it's the original fender, there should be a sticker with the code on it near the hood hinge.......at least that's where mine is! :tongue:

Joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it's original. But twenty years old! Will try to look tomorrow. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts