TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already deleted my egr, so the next step would be getting rid of the pcv setup.

The car- my 95 Bird with a PI motor with a bullitt intake and hotter cams.

The plan- weld AN bungs to the top of both valve covers and run hose to a vented breather can mounted on the fire wall or where the battery was.

The reason- because why would I want to allow my engine to ingest oil vapor?

Is there any reason to keep the stock type pcv system?

·
The Parts Guy
7,330 Posts
The downside: OCV systems typically emit a fair amount of odor.

The other option would be to keep the system CCV and install a quality oil separator on the PCV to manifold side of the system.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say odor, is that just a smell?

·
The Parts Guy
7,330 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
It may smoke at idle also. Many cars do after performing this "mod".

Al

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may smoke at idle also. Many cars do after performing this "mod".

Al
What would cause it to smoke at idle and not at higher rpms? I was expecting the opposite.

I currently am running trick flow valve covers with a little breather on each of them. I haven't noticed any issues yet when driving normally. The problem that I have with them is when making high rpm passes, the breathers get too much oil thrown up into them and oil ends up leaking down onto the headers. I figured that plumbing them to a remote canister would allow the oil to get collected and still allow everything to breath well.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure it would also smoke at high RPM, but you don't see it and smell it like you do at idle.

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
We also have thin rings; thin rings like to be 'biased' by the vacuum, so they always move to a flat surface; the lack of vacuum can cause rings to flutter at higher RPM's, making them shatter like glass, worst case.

:)

EGR is useful for interstate driving; if you don't do that, you don't need it. You take a big hit in MPG removing it.

PCV is part of the design; I'd want 1.5mm rings at least before thinking of removing it. And I still can't think of a good reason to. :zdunno:

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
You ever ride behind a early-50's flat head motor, smoking under the hood, dripping oil down the road, and stinking?

Yah.

PCV cured all that.

Add the catch can to keep the vapor out of the intake, you get the best of both worlds.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
17,051 Posts
If you're willing to use a canister why not do as Rod suggested and restore PCV with an oil separator inline? There really are no cons to a functioning PCV system besides picking up a minor amount of oil vapor along with the abundance of crankcase pressure and contaminated vapors the system is used for. A separator eliminates that con if it's a big deal. Really deleting it has zero pros, it's a ricer mod like having an open "cai" under the hood, and you're doing more damage to the engine without.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
And motor cyclists will just LOVE you! <sarcasm> for dripping oil all over the road.

Add the catch can / oil separator, keep the PCV system, and keep everyone happy.

Or delete it. OOOH! Why not put a flat head V8 back in too? Or even better, a Model T 4-banger!!!

*mutters*

RwP

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We also have thin rings; thin rings like to be 'biased' by the vacuum, so they always move to a flat surface; the lack of vacuum can cause rings to flutter at higher RPM's :zdunno:
While that sounded really good- there isn't vacuum in the crankcase. The pcv valve vents to the atmosphere side of the throttle body... right?

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
While that sounded really good- there isn't vacuum in the crankcase. The pcv valve vents to the atmosphere side of the throttle body... right?
No, the PCV valve is into the vacuum side of the intake.

The BREATHER is the throttle body side of the MAF, so it's metered / measured air.

RwP

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info. I think I will plan on putting the pcv system back in and getting an inline oil separator.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I use these T strainers on PCV/CCV systems.

·
The Parts Guy
7,330 Posts
The little air compressor separators do not work as well as a quality unit from UPR, JLT, etc. Been there, tried it, tried it again, then ponied up the bucks for a better part.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Here is a link to a sealed catch can. The price appears to have crept up since I got mine years ago, but they work.
Saikou Michi Co. Home

This is on my Toyota - I have a can with 3/8" fittings inline with the PCV hose, and one with 1/2" fittings for the breather side, returning to the intake pipe. In both cases, I have the catch can mounted low in the engine compartment.

Once a year, I drain an ounce or two of oil from the PCV side. I don't have any oil on the breather side, but I am sure on my high mileage engine I would have had a significant amount.

Al

·
Registered
440 Posts
I use these T strainers on PCV/CCV systems.
Speaking of oil separators. What do you guys suggest on a boosted setup (vortech)? I am not deleting PCV and putting breathers, I'd rather have no excessive pressure in the crankcase cause boost will increase my blow-by. But since I'll be rerouting the PCV to the front of the supercharger where I guess I'd have a lot more 'suction' and I don't wanna end up sucking oil from the valve cover into my intake lol, just the vapors. So I'll need some sort of separator.

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
Speaking of oil separators. What do you guys suggest on a boosted setup (vortech)? I am not deleting PCV and putting breathers, I'd rather have no excessive pressure in the crankcase cause boost will increase my blow-by. But since I'll be rerouting the PCV to the front of the supercharger where I guess I'd have a lot more 'suction' and I don't wanna end up sucking oil from the valve cover into my intake lol, just the vapors. So I'll need some sort of separator.
You will have larger amounts of blowby, due to added compression; them magnitude is probably measurable, put a vacuum gauge on the valve cover. :)

You will probably need a higher flow pcv, and a separator is a must.

Oil climbs the ports in the passenger head, after being slung off the crank, filling the head with freaking oil. Thanks, ford. :)

This happens over about 5200 rpm on my 96 Cougar, and I have moved a half a freaking quart thru the separator (it was full, o.f.); YMMV.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts