TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lo-mile Bird is 28 years old. So are the parts on it. I had a P171 code come up so I started to check vacuum lines, then I checked the PCV valve and found it stuck shut. It wouldn't rattle. For 1.03 I replaced it and what a difference. So I started to replace all the vacuum hoses and found them to be rotten crumbling in my hands. If you have the time its just good preventive maintenance, it can save you big headaches later.

·
Super Moderator
11,777 Posts
Be sure you get them all; there's a pic of where here somewhere.
There are eight pieces in the evap line alone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have kept up trying to find a fault that kept popping up, "P171" and I finally got to the the MAS sensor and cleaned it with some solid state board cleaner(quick dry). You could see the first wire was dirty and the second one was clean. A couple of sprays later the fault cleared in about 20 miles. I've changed all the PCV vacuum lines and clean the engine bay as a I go. Its cooling off here in part of the country but I am going bleed the brakes and install new brake fluid, replace the original radiator hoses along w/new anti-freeze. Then next week change the tranny fluid and filter.

·
Super Moderator
11,777 Posts
Do all the vacuum lines, and the egr lines, buy a new set of motorcraft spark plug wires, new acdelco ap104,double platinum plugs, Change the oil and coolant, and if the car is new to you, I'd do front o2 sensors, move the fronts to the rears and new NTK's for the fronts., clean maf an new air filter. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far I have new tires,ordered ford spark plug wires,coil pack, plugs, air filter, fuel filter and a new CARD cat system. I've also changed the oil twice. I do only use Ford parts when I can find them. I did get (4)new o2 sensors for the cat system. I also ordered Monroe ready strut kit for the front and new shocks for the rear. I installed new upper control arms and sway bar bushings and end links. I've spent a few bucks on the bird and feel safer having done a lot of maintenance on it. It may have lo-miles but getting older. If I sell it some one will get a really nice car. Plus I have two other projects I just finished...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts